- Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
Postdoctoral Fellow, K30 Fellow, University of California Davis
M.S. – Advanced Study in Clinical Research, University of California, Davis
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge 2007
M.S. – Mechanical Engineering, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge 2002
B.S. (Honors) – MNR Engineering College, Allahabad, India 1998
Our lab is interested in using microfluidics and microfabrication to engineer tissues as well as to develop sensors for chemical and biochemical measurements. We use these tools to better understand diseases, in particular inflammation and metabolic diseases. Learn more at Dr. Bhushan’s research website.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
2015 Partners in Excellence Award, Massachusetts General Hospital
2013 K99/R00, NIH Pathway to Independence Award
2012 American Contact Dermatitis Society Clinical Research Award
2010 Fellow, NIH K30, University of California Davis School of Medicine
2008 Fellow, Laboratory Management Institute, University of California Davis
2004 J. Bennett Johnston Science Foundation Award
PEER REVIEWED ARTICLES
1. Usta OB, McCarty WJ, Bale SS, Jindal R, Hegde M. Bhushan A, Yarmush ML, Microengineered cell and tissue systems for drug screening and toxicology applications: Evolution of in-vitro liver technologies. Technology, 3(1): 1-26, 2015.
2. Bale SS, Golberg I, Jindal R, McCarty WJ, Luitje M, Hegde M, Bhushan A, Usta OB, Yarmush ML. Long Term Co-culture Strategies for Primary Hepatocytes and Liver Sinusoidal Endothelial Cells. Tissue Eng Part C, 2014 Sept 18. Online Ready
3. Bale SS, Price G, Casali M, Saeidi N, Bhushan A, Yarmush ML. A highly sensitive microsphere-based assay for early detection of Type I diabetes. Technology (Singap). Online Ready
4. Hegde M*, Jindal R*, Bhushan A*, Bale SS, McCarty WJ, Golberg I, Usta OB, Yarmush ML (*equal contribution). Dynamic interplay of flow and collagen stabilizes primary hepatocytes culture in a microfluidic platform. Lab Chip. 2014; 14(12):2033-9.
5. Bale SS, Vernetti L, Senutovitch N, Jindal R, Hegde M, Gough A, McCarty WJ, Bakan A, Bhushan A, Shun TY, Golberg I, Debiasio R, Usta BO, Taylor DL, Yarmush ML. In vitro platforms for evaluating liver toxicity. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2014 Apr 24.
6. McCarty WJ, Usta OB, Luitje M, Bale SS, Bhushan A, Hegde M, Golberg I, Jindal R, Yarmush ML. A novel ultrathin collagen nanolayer assembly for 3-D microtissue engineering: Layer-by-layer collagen deposition for long-term stable microfluidic hepatocyte culture. Technology (Singap). 2014 Mar; 2(1):67-74.
7. Bhushan A, Senutovitch N, Bale SS, McCarty WJ, Hegde M, Jindal R, Golberg I, Berk Usta O, Yarmush ML, Vernetti L, Gough A, Bakan A, Shun T, Biasio R, Lansing Taylor D. Towards a three-dimensional microfluidic liver platform for predicting drug efficacy and toxicity in humans. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2013; 4 Suppl 1:S16.
8. Koria P, Bhushan A, Irimia D, Yarmush ML. Microfluidic device for examining directional sensing in dendritic cell chemotaxis. Nano Life. 2012 Jun 1; 2(2).
9. Konry T, Bale SS, Bhushan A, Shen K, and Polyak B. Microparticles and Microfluidics Merged: Perspectives of Highly Sensitive Diagnostic Detection. Microchimica Acta. 2011; (3-4):251-269.
10. Bhushan A, Leigh JP. National trends in occupational injuries before and after 1992 and predictors of workers' compensation costs. Public Health Rep. 2011 Sep-Oct; 126(5):625-34.
11. Bhushan A, Yemane D, McDaniel S, Goettert J, Murphy MC, Overton EB. Hybrid integration of injector and detector functions for microchip gas chromatography. Analyst. 2010 Oct; 135(10):2730-6.
12. Strand N, Bhushan A, Schivo M, Kenyon NJ, Davis CE. Chemically Polymerized Polypyrrole for On-Chip Concentration of Volatile Breath Metabolites. Sens Actuators B Chem. 2010; 143(2):516-523.
13. Han H, Bhushan A, Yaghmaie F, Davis CE. Direct thermal-UV nanoimprint of an iron-containing organometallic hybrid film. J Vac Sci Technol B Nanotechnol Microelectron. 2010 Jan 1; 28(1):78-81.
14. Bhushan A, Han H, Sutherland A**, Boehme S, Yaghmaie F, Davis CE. Generation of paramagnetic hybrid inorganic/organic thin films. Applied Organometallic Chemistry. 2010; 24(7):530-532.
15. Nording ML, Yang J, Hegedus CM, Bhushan A, Kenyon NJ, Davis CE, Hammock BD. Endogenous Levels of Five Fatty Acid Metabolites in Exhaled Breath Condensate to Monitor Asthma by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography: Electrospray Tandem Mass Spectrometry. IEEE Sens J. 2010 Jan 1; 10(1):123-130.
16. Yaghmaie F, Nielsen W**, Han H, Bhushan A, Davis CE. A Simplified Method to Produce a Functional Test Stamp for Nanoimprint Lithography. IEEE Sensors Journal. 2009; 9(3):233 234.
17. Loyola BR, Bhushan A, Schivo M, Kenyon NJ, Davis CE. Temperature changes in exhaled breath condensate collection devices affect observed acetone concentrations. J Breath Res. 2008 Sep; 2(3):037005.
18. Bhushan A, Yemane D**, Trudell D, Overton EB, Goettert J. Fabrication of micro-gas chromatograph columns for fast chromatography. Microsystems Technologies. 2007; 13:361-368.
19. Bhushan A, Yemane D**, Overton EB, Goettert J, Murphy MC. Fabrication and Preliminary Results for LIGA Fabricated Nickel Micro Gas Chromatograph Columns. Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems. 2007; 16(2):383-393.
20. Eiceman GA, Gardea-Torresdey J, Dorman F, Overton E, Bhushan A, Dharmasena HP. Gas chromatography. Anal Chem. 2006 Jun 15; 78(12):3985-96.
21. Bhushan A, Challa V, McKeon J, Yemane D**, Overton EB, Murphy MC, Goettert J. Application of Scanning Acoustic Microscopy in Characterizing Metal Micro Gas Chromatograph Columns. TMS Letters. 2004; 7(1):145-146.
Microfluidics, organ-on-chips, tissue engineering, biosensors, gaseous volatile organic compound (VOC) sensors, finite element analysis, mathematical and data modeling