- Co-Director, M.S. in Computational Decision Science and Operations Research (CDSOR)
- Associate Professor of Applied Mathematics
PhD in Mathematics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
MS in Mathematics, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
My research interests lie, broadly speaking, in Discrete Mathematics and Operations Research, especially Graph Theory, Discrete and Network Optimization, related algorithms, and interdisciplinary applications in transportation networks, computer science, and electrical and computer engineering.
My expertise lies in Discrete Optimization models, both deterministic and stochastic, and their algorithms, Graph Packing problems, Conflict-free allocation of resources through: Generalized Knapsack problems, Graph Coloring with additional constraints, List Coloring of graphs and its variants, DP-coloring (aka Correspondence coloring) of graphs, and usage of enumerative, algebraic, and probabilistic techniques to study these problems.
- Board of Trustees Award for Excellence in Teaching 2019, University-wide award, IIT. Citation
- Excellence in Teaching Award 2017, College of Science, IIT.
- Distinguished Teaching Fellow, College of Science, IIT, 2016-2018.
- AMS Project NExT Fellow, Mathematical Association of America, 2007-2008.
- Interdisciplinary Research Award and Travel Grant, Applied Mathematics Program, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Spring 2006.
- Fellowship for Academic Excellence, National Board for Higher Mathematics, India, 1997-1998 and 1998-1999.
See the list of publications at http://www.math.iit.edu/~kaul/papers.html
- NSF grant 1559606, Extremal Combinatorics at Illinois III Conference, PI, $32400, 2016-17.
- NSA grant H98230-16-1-0056, Extremal Combinatorics at Illinois III Conf, PI, $24900, 2016-17.
- ERIF funding award, $25000, for an interdisciplinary project in Transportation Networks with collaborators in Computer Science, and Transportation Engineering, IIT, 2009-2010.
- Co-Advisor, SIAM Student Chapter, IIT, 2012-present.
- IIT Team advisor, The Mathematical Contest in Modeling (MCM). See the Drone based Disaster Response System designed by Meritorious Winner IIT team from 2019.
- M.Sc. in Computational Decision Sciences and Operations Research, new interdisciplinary graduate program of Applied Math and CS, co-developed with S. Kapoor, CS, in 2014-15, approved in 2015.
- M.Sc. program in Applied Math, modernized and completely restructured in 2018-19 (as chair of the committee), approved in 2019.
- Conference (Co-)Organizer: Extremal Combinatorics in Illinois (EXCILL III) Conference, IIT, Chicago, August 2016; Workshop in honor of Professor Douglas West's 60th Birthday, Institute for Mathematics andits Applications, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, June 2014; 47th Midwest Graph Theory Conference (MIGHTY), IIT, Chicago, November 2008; and several Special Sessions in AMS meetings.