- Assistant Professor of Physics
- Associate Scientist, Fermilab
Teaching and Curriculum Development
- Spearheading expansion of Quantum Information Science (QIS) program at Illinois Institute of Technology, 2020-present.
- Led development of a new undergraduate course (Introduction to Quantum Computing offered since Spring 2022) at Illinois Institute of Technology, 2021.
- Taught, redesigned, and upgraded undergraduate advanced lab course at Illinois Institute of Technology, 2021.
- Taught Introduction to Electricity and Magnetism (calculus based) to undergraduate Physics and Science majors, 2022-2023.
Member, Physics Graduate Qualifier Exam committee at Illinois Institute of Technology, 2021-present. Co-led the redesign and implementation of new format of graduate qualifier exam.
Most recent PhD and undergraduate students
- Jialin Yu: PhD Physics Thesis, Illinois Institute of Technology, Single photon counting for Dark Matter with Quantum Capacitance Detector, 2020-present.
- Kester Anyang: PhD Physics Thesis, Illinois Institute of Technology, Highly multiplexed readout of qubits and sensors, 2020-present.
- Israel Hernandez: PhD Physics Thesis, Illinois Institute of Technology, Phonon kinematics studies in superconducting devices, 2021-present.
- Matthew Malaker: Undergraduate Physics, Illinois Institute of Technology, Broadband Axion Antenna simulation for BREAD experiment, 2021-2022.
- Rachelle Rosiles: Undergraduate Physics, Illinois Institute of Technology, frequency dependent analysis of cryogenic microwave electronics for ADMX, 2022-2023.
- Michael Zaidel: Undergraduate Physics, Ohio State University, Characterization, and automation of quantum electronics from Dark Matter Detector, 2020.
Previous Students Mentored
- Nick Du, University of Washington, Seattle, 2015 – 2018.
- James V. Sloan, University of Washington, Seattle, 2015 – 2017.
- Patrick Harrington, Washington University St. Louis, 2016.
- Marjan Khosravi, Indiana University at Bloomington, 2013 – 2015.
- Rachel Schmidt, Indiana University at Bloomington, 2013-2015.
Several undergraduate students from Illinois Institute and elsewhere, 2009 - 2021.
BS Physics and Mathematics: Linfield University
PhD Physics: Purdue University
- Axion Dark Matter Experiment (ADMX), University of Washington
- ADMX and Qubit based dark matter detector development, Fermilab
- Quantum sensors, qubits, quantum noise-limited devices/amplifiers and their application in precision experiments and dark matter detection, low-noise cryogenic systems
- Ultra-low noise detector development for Axion Dark Matter eXperiment (ADMX)
- Physics beyond the Standard Model, fundamental symmetries and interactions, experimental tests of symmetry-violating interactions, spin-dependent and independent interactions between fermions
- Department of Energy QuantiSED, Quantum Sensors for Dark Matter Fermilab consortium Award. (2020-2023)
- Fermilab Laboratory Directed Research and Development Award. (2021-2022)
- C. Bartram, R. Khatiwada et al., “Dark Matter Axion Search Using a Josephson Travelling Wave Parametric Amplifier”, Rev. Sci. Inst. 94, 044703 (2023).
- Jesse Liu, R. Khatiwada, et al., “Broadband Solenoidal Haloscope for Terahertz Axion Detection”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 128, 131801 (2022).
- C. Bartram, R. Khatiwada et al., “Search for Invisible Axion Dark Matter in the 3.3 – 4.2 μ eV Mass Range”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 127, 261803 (2021).
- R. Khatiwada, et al., “Axion Dark Matter Experiment: Detailed Design and Operations”, Rev. Sci. Inst. 92, 124502 (2021).
- C.Bartram, R. Khatiwada et al., “Axion dark matter experiment: Run 1B analysis details”, Phys. Rev. D 103, 032002 (2021).
- C. Bartram, R. Khatiwada, et al., “Dark Matter Axion Search Using a Josephson Traveling Wave Parametric Amplifier”, arXiv:2110.10262 (2021).
- T. Braine, R. Khatiwada, et al., “Extended Search for the Invisible Axion with the Axion Dark Matter Experiment”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 124, 101303 (2020).
- T. Braine, R. Khatiwada, et al., “4-7 GHz Limits on the Axion-Photon Coupling from a Multi-Mode, Piezoelectrically Tuned Microwave Cavity Search”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 121, 261302 (2018).
- N. Du, R. Khatiwada, et al., “Search for Invisible Axion Dark Matter with the Axion Dark Matter Experiment”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 151301 (2018).
- J. Hoskins, R. Khatiwada, et al., “Modulation sensitive search for non-virialized dark-matter axions”, Phys. Rev. D 94, 8, 082001 (2016).
- J. V. Sloan, R. Khatiwada, et al., “Limits on axion-photon coupling or on local axion density: Dependence on models of the Milky Way’s dark halo”, Physics of the Dark Universe 14, 95–102 (2016).
- R. Khatiwada, et al., “Low magnetic susceptibility test masses for precision measurements”, Measure Sci. Tech. 27, 2 025902 (2016).
- T.M. Leslie, R. Khatiwada, et al., “Prospects for electron spin-dependent short-range force experiments with rare earth iron garnet test masses”, Phys. Rev. D 89, 114022 (2014).
- H. Yan, R. Khatiwada, et al., “A frequency determination method for digitized NMR signals”, Commun. Comput. Phys. 15, 1343 (2014).
- P. H. Chu, R. Khatiwada, et al., “Laboratory Search for Spin-dependent Short-range Force from Axion-Like-Particles using Optically Polarized 3He gas”, Phys. Rev. D 87, 011105(R) (2013).
- US CMS collaboration, 78 papers, https://inspirehep.net/authors/1078562 (2010 - 2011).
- National Quantum Initiative “High throughput quantum sensor and materials testing facility.” (2020-2025)
- Dark Matter New Initiatives “Axion Dark Matter Experiment Extended frequency”
Workshop Organization Committee
- Chair, “QSC cryogenic engineering and quantum sensing 2022”, Fermilab, 2022
- Chair, “Fundamentals of Quantum Computing and Sensing”, Illinois Institute of Technology, 2021
- “APS Prairie Section 2020 meeting”, Illinois Institute of Technology, 2020
- “Axions Beyond Generation 2”, University of Washington, 2021
- “New Directions in the Search for Light Dark Matter Particles”, Fermilab, 2019
- Referee/Reviewer: Institute of Physics science (physics) journals
- American Physical Society April meeting 2021 “Searches for Low Mass Axion Dark Matter”
- American Physical Society April meeting 2019 “Dark Matter Theory”
- Organizer: New faculty search at Illinois Institute of Technology, 2023.
- New department chair search at Illinois Institute of Technology, 2023.
- Several staff scientists, engineers, and postdoctoral scholar hiring at Fermilab, 2020-present.
- PhD/MS Qualifying exam committee at Illinois Institute of Technology, 2022 – present.
- Graduate admission committee at Illinois Institute of Technology, 2023 – present.
- Research Council physics department representative at Illinois Institute of Technology, 2022 – present.
- Mentor and career advisor (through in person talks/luncheons and webinars) to undergraduate and graduate students and women in science from small colleges and underprivileged institutions (US and abroad), 2015 - present.
- Member, American Physical Society Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity Alliance
- (IDEA) Network, Illinois Institute of Technology chapter, 2020 – present.
Institute of Physics (IOP) science journals
American Physical Society (APS)
Chicago Quantum Exchange
- Dark matter instrumentation
- Quantum devices and sensors for dark matter detection
- Mesoscopic range spin-dependent interaction between fermions
In the Media