- Assistant Professor of Chemistry
B.S. Chemistry, Alexandria University
M.S. Chemistry, Alexandria University
Ph.D. Chemistry, University of South Florida
Elsaidi laboratory, the Center of Separation Science and Sustainability (CSSS), conducts research that is highly interdisciplinary in nature but focuses on the rational design, synthesis, and characterization of functional porous materials, advanced composites, and multicomponent membranes. We aim to uncover and provide fundamental insights into structure-property-function relationships of materials and to exploit applications in gas separation, gas storage, environment, energy, nuclear waste management and extraction and recovery of valuable elements.
Functional porous materials such as metal-organic frameworks (MOFs) have revolutionized the field of materials science. Their “made-to-order” design leads to potentially limitless applications determined by their pore size, geometry, and chemical functionality. The appeal of these materials stems from the fact that MOFs are programmable and that you can control their design to behave exactly as you want it to. This is because the number of components available to build new MOFs (metal salts and organic ligands) is nearly unlimited. Their numbers have skyrocketed, as has the realization that these highly porous materials have enormous commercial potential, with applications ranging from separations to biological science.
Alongside, composite materials and membranes are used to tackle the need for bulk performance or properties that cannot be accomplished using a single component. The use of several components in the composite/membrane fabrication can engender the same material with several properties at once, such as excellent mechanical properties, high permeability/adsorption capacity, superb selectivity, chemical/physical/thermal/radiation stability, etc. The high degree of control over the properties of composite materials/membranes makes them promising candidates that can make significant advances in the field of separation science and sustainability.
Elsaidi group will aim to develop novel porous materials, composites and membranes that exhibit cost-reduction, eco-friendly practices, radical improvements in performance over existing state-of-the-art materials, and potentially revolutionizing the current technologies specifically in (1) Radioactive waste management; (2) Nuclear Forensic; (3) Radiation-Resistant Materials; (4) Extraction of rare earth elements, (5) Uranium extraction, (6) Coatings, (7) Global warming, and (8) Production of synthetic fuels, and generally in (1) Separation science, (2) Environmental applications, (3) Sustainable energy, (4) Heterogeneous catalysis, and (5) Materials manufacturing. Our research spans almost all the conventional disciplines of organic, inorganic, analytical and physical chemistry, and chemical and materials engineering, providing a very eclectic blend of ideas, techniques, and strategies.
- Elsaidi, S. K.; Ostwal, M.; Zhu, L.; Sekizkardes, A.; Mohamed, M. H.; Gipple, M.; McCutcheon, J.; Hopkinson, D. "3D printed MOF-based mixed matrix thin-film composite membranes" RSC Adv., 2021,11, 25658-25663
- Elsaidi, S. K.; Mohamed, M. H.; Helal, A. S.; Thallapally, P. K.; Li, J.; Hopkinson, D. "Radiation Resistant Ultra-Microporous Materials for Efficient Removal of Krypton from Nuclear Reprocessing Facilities" Nature Communications, 2020, 11, 1-8
- Elsaidi, S. K.; Venna, S.; Mohamed, M. H.; Hopkinson, D. "Dual-Layer MOF Composite Membranes with Tuned Interface Interaction for Post-combustion CO2 Separation" Cell Reports Physical Science, 2020, 1, 100059 - Cover Image is featured
- Elsaidi, S. K.; Venna, S.; Sekizkardes, A.; Mohamed, M. H.; Steckel, J. A.; Baker, J.; Baltrus, J.; Hopkinson, D. "Custom Formulation of Multicomponent Mixed-Matrix Membranes for Efficient Post-combustion Carbon Capture" Cell Reports Physical Science, 2020, 1, 100113
- Elsaidi, S. K.; Ongari, D.; Xu, W.; Mohamed, M. H.; Haranczyk, M.; Motkuri, R. K.; Thallapally, P. K. "Metal-Organic Frameworks for Xenon Storage Applications" ACS Materials Letters, 2020, 2, 233-238
- Elsaidi, S.; Sinnwell, M.; Banerjee, D.; Devaraj, A.; Kukkadapu, R.; Droubay, T.; Nie, Z.; Kovarik, L.; Manandhar, S.; Nandasiri, M.; McGrail, B.; Thallapally, P.; Vijayakumar, M. "Extraction of Rare Earth Elements using Magnetite@MOF Composites" Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2018, 6, 18438.
- Banerjee, D.; Elsaidi, S.; Simon, C. M.; Thallapally, P. K. "Xenon Gas Separation and Storage using Metal Organic Frameworks" Chem 2018, 4, 466-494.
- Elsaidi, S. K.; Mohamed, M. H.; Banerjee, D.; Thallapally, P. K. "Flexibility in Metal Organic Frameworks: A Fundamental Understanding" Coordination Chemistry Reviews 2018, 358, 125-152.
- Elsaidi, S.; Sinnwell, M.; Banerjee, D.; Devaraj, A.; Kukkadapu, R.; Droubay, T.; Nie, Z.; Kovarik, L.; Manandhar, S.; Nandasiri, M.; McGrail, B.; Thallapally, P.; Vijayakumar, M. "Reduced Magnetism in Core-Shell Magnetite@MOF Composites" Nano Letters 2017, 17, 6968-6973.
- Elsaidi, S. K.; Mohamed, M. H.; Simon, C. M.; Braun, E.; Pham, T.; Forrest, K.; Xu, W.; Space, B.; Zaworotko, M. J.; Thallapally, P. K. "Effect of Ring Rotation upon Gas Adsorption in SIFSIX-3- M (M = Fe, Ni) Pillared Square Grid Networks" Chemical Science 2017, 8, 2373-2380.
- Elsaidi, S. K.; Mohamed, M. H.; Loring, J.S.; McGrail, B. P.; Thallapally, P. K. "Covalent Coordination Frameworks: A New Route for Synthesis and Expansion of Functional Porous Materials" ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces2016, 8, 28424.
- Banerjee, D.; Elsaidi, S. K.; Nie, Z.; Li,B.; Aguila,B.; Ma, S.; Thallapally, P. K. "Removal of Pertechnetate related Oxyanion using Functionalized Hierarchical Porous Frameworks from Solution" Chemistry A European Journal2016, 22, 17581.
- Feng, X.; Zong, Z.; Elsaidi, S.; Jasinski, J. B.; Thallapally, P. K.; Carreon, M. A. "Kr/Xe Separation over a Chabazite Zeolite Membrane" Journal of the American Chemical Society 2016, 138, 9791.
- Mohamed, M. H.; Elsaidi, S. K.; Pham, T.; Forrest, K.; Schaef, H.; Hogan, A.; Wojtas, L.; Space, B.; Zaworotko, M. J.; Thallapally, P. K. "Hybrid Ultramicroporous Materials for Selective Xe Adsorption and Separation" Angewandte Chemie International Edition 2016, 55, 8285.
- Elsaidi, S. K.; Mohamed, M. H.; Pham, T.; Hussein, T.; Wojtas, L.; Zaworotko, M. J.; Space, B. "Crystal Engineering of a 4,6-c fsc Platform That Can Serve as a Carbon Dioxide Single-Molecule Trap" Crystal Growth & Design2015, 16, 1071.
- Elsaidi, S. K.; Mohamed, M. H.; Schaef, H.; Kumar, A.; Lusi, M.; Pham, T.; Forrest, K.; Space, B.; Xu, W.; Halder, G.; Liu, J.; Thallapally, P. K.; Zaworotko, M. J. "Hydrophobic Pillared Square Grids for Selective Removal of CO2 from Simulated Flue Gas" Chemical Communications2015, 51, 16872.
- Elsaidi, S. K.; Mohamed, M. H.; Wojtas, L.; Chanthapally, A.; Pham, T.; Space, B.; Vittal, J. J.; Zaworotko, M. J, "Putting the squeeze on CH4 and CO2 through control over interpenetration in diamondoid nets" Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2014, 136, 5072.
- Elsaidi, S. K.; Mohamed, M. H.; Wojtas, L.; Cairns, A. J.; Eddaoudi, M.; Zaworotko, M. J. "Two-step crystal engineering of porous nets from [Cr3(µ3-O)(RCO2)6] and [Cu3(µ3-Cl)(RNH2)6Cl6] molecular building blocks" Chemical Communications2013, 49, 8154.
- Mohamed, M. H.; Elsaidi, S. K.; Wojtas, L.; Pham, T.; Forrest, K. A.; Tudor, B.; Space, B.; Zaworotko, M. J. "Highly Selective CO2 Uptake in Uninodal 6-Connected "mmo" Nets Based upon MO42– (M = Cr, Mo) Pillars" Journal of the American Chemical Society2012, 134, 19556.
Michael J. Zaworotko, Mona H. Mohamed, and Sameh K. Elsaidi, "Metal-Organic Materials (MOMs) for Adsorption of Polarizable Gases and Methods of Using MOMs" US 9676807.
Materials Science and Engineering, Porous Materials, Metal-Organic Frameworks, Covalent-Organic Frameworks, Porous Organic Cages, Advanced Composites, Membranes, Coatings, Structure-Property-Function Relationships, Gas Separation, Gas Storage, Heterogeneous Catalysis, Extraction of Valuable Elements, Nuclear Waste Management, Nuclear Forensic, Radiation-Resistant Materials, Global Warming, Carbon Capture, Production of Synthetic Fuels, Extraction of Rare Earth Elements, Uranium Extraction, Energy Storage, Sustainable Energy
Selected Featured Work
- "Novel gas-capture approach advances nuclear fuel management", MIT News, 2020.
- Our recent publication has been selected as one of the best 2020 publications of Cell Reports Physical Science journal, Cell Press "Best of 2020".
- Our recent work was featured on the front page of the Premiere Issue of NETL's Carbon Capture Newsletter, 2020.
- "Next Generation of Carbon Capture Technologies Being Developed at NETL", DOE-NETL website, 2020.
- "Trapping and Reusing Noble, Yet Volatile, Gases", PNNL News, 2020.
- "Novel Carbon Capture Technology is More than the Sum of its Parts", NETL website, 2020.
- "Corralling xenon gas out of waste streams", PNNL News, 2018.
- "Form Damages Function and Magnetism Suffers: Extraction of Rare Earth Elements from Geothermal Brines", PNNL Research Highlights, 2018.
- "Fast and Easy Two-Step Creates New Porous Materials", PNNL Research Highlights, 2016.