ELS Student Guide
The English Language Services Student Guide, below, documents the various policies and procedures of English Language Services as well as the rights and privileges of students within the department. This guide includes items relevant to students within the department, in addition to offering knowledge about services that help those students. All items are in addition to policies published in student handbooks put forth by Illinois Institute of Technology. Wherein a policy is omitted in this guide, our department defaults to the university’s policy. For the most up-to-date Illinois Tech policies and procedures, please visit the Student Affairs Student Handbook, which may require logging into MyIIT.
SPEAK Conversation Group at Illinois Tech
SPEAK is a free weekly conversation group where you can chat with international and domestic students, staff, and faculty. No homework, no grading, no stress – just sharing our opinions, ideas, and cultures. During Spring 2021, SPEAK meets once a week and the days and times vary week to week. See below for the schedule for September.
Goals of SPEAK:
- To engage both international and domestic students in conversation
- To have international and domestic students expand their cultural knowledge
- To make friends globally
- To have fun
- When: Weekly 45 minute virtual meetings (days and times vary to allow more people to participate)
- Where: Zoom
- Who: All students, faculty, and staff are welcome to attend
- To join us, fill out our SPEAK Interest Form or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the Blackboard Collaborate Ultra guest link
- What: Conversations, discussions, speaking activities, and games
Times - Central Time
Wednesday, Feb 10
12:00 p.m. - 12:45 p.m.
Thursday, Feb 18
2:00 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
|Friday, Feb 26||12:00 p.m. - 12:45 p.m.|
The English Language Program has compiled the list below of English language instructors who offer private tutoring for a fee. All instructors hold the equivalent of at least a master’s degree or higher in TESOL/TEFL/Linguistics or a closely related field.
The standard fee in the field for private tutoring for English language skills ranges from $50 to $100 per hour. Discount rates are sometimes available for purchasing multiple hours or for small group tutoring. All negotiations and transactions are at the discretion of the instructor.
It is important to note the following:
- If you are interested in being tutored in English language skills, please contact the instructor below using their personal email address listed.
- Instructors are NOT allowed to tutor current students in their classes. They may tutor past students or students in classes they are NOT currently teaching.
- Tutoring should be arranged at a public location on or off campus agreed upon by both instructor and student.
|Instructor Name||Available to Tutor for...|
|Brian Casarioemail@example.com||Editing/Proofreading Writing, Reading, Writing, Speaking/Pronunciation|
|Timothy Gahertyfirstname.lastname@example.org||Editing/Proofreading Writing, Writing, Speaking/Pronunciation, Grammar|
|Barbara (Basia) Krupa-Ryanemail@example.com||Editing/Proofreading Writing, Reading, Writing, Speaking/Pronunciation, Grammar|
|Beth Conry Ontropfirstname.lastname@example.org||Reading, Speaking/Pronunciation, Listening, Grammar|
|Gil Rumanemail@example.com||Editing/Proofreading Writing, Reading, Writing, Speaking/Pronunciation, Grammar, TOEFL/IELTS Prep|
|Deborah Silverfirstname.lastname@example.org||Editing/Proofreading Writing, Reading, Writing, Grammar, Speaking/Pronunciation|
|Judy Sloaneemail@example.com||Editing/Proofreading Writing, Reading, Writing, Speaking/Pronunciation, Listening, Grammar|
The faculty and staff of English Language Services have compiled a list of online resources for English language learners, including websites to help you practice listening, timed reading, pronunciation, and more. View our guide to online resources, below.