Optional Practical Training (OPT) is for undergraduate and graduate students with F-1 status who have completed or who have been pursuing their degrees and are permitted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work for, at most, 12 months or up to an additional 24 months with an extension on a student visa for practical training in their field of study.
All students must complete the tutorial and certificate through Blackboard before the International Center will accept your OPT application.
For more information regarding OPT and to begin the application process, please review the International Center OPT Tutorial in Blackboard.
OPT I-20 Application Process
- Review the International Center OPT Tutorial on Blackboard. To access and self-enroll in the course, please use the instructions found here.
- Complete the OPT Tutorial quiz and save a copy of your certificate of completion.
- Pay the $100 OPT administrative fee on Touchnet here. Students must attach proof of OPT fee payment to the Initial OPT Request within the ISSS Portal.
- Submit an "Initial OPT Request (12 Months)" within the ISSS Portal along with providing details for your Academic Adviser OPT confirmation. Please consult your Academic Advisor before submitting an OPT request as their electronic signature approval is required for the International Center to complete the request.
OPT Workshops—Fall 2022 Schedule
Workshops will be done virtually and in-person for the Fall 2022 semester. The dates for the virtual sessions and the in-person sessions are listed below. Please note that the same material will be covered in the virtual and in-person workshops.
Fall 2022 Workshop Schedule, VIRTUAL:
- Tuesday, September 6th, 2022
- Wednesday, October 12th, 2022 - OPT workshop recording
- Thursday, December 1st, 2022 - OPT workshop recording