Faculty Innovation Grant awarded to 'Food Product Development: Concepts and Prototypes with Hands-on Maker Experience in a R&D Commercial Context in an Offsite Session'.
Career Services is pleased to announce that Armand Paradis, MS Adjunct Industry Professor, SAT/ FdSN and Will Maurer, MS Industry Professor, SAT/ INTM have been awarded a Faculty Innovation Grant for the 2017-2018 academic year.
The purpose of this grant program is to provide funding to faculty for activities directly related to the career and professional development of Illinois Institute of Technology students and/or the expansion of Illinois Tech's employer network.
The grant is awarded to FDSN 408/508 Food Product Development, which is co-instructed by Armand Paradis and Will Maurer. The course integrates key food science concepts from the core department curriculum. It also serves as a means for students to identify specific areas for further focus within their career path. Topics include discussions of processing requirements in the cereal, beverage, produce, packaged goods, bakery, dairy and several other food product segments. A special emphasis is placed on the product development process, key functional roles in project teams, and identification of the critical project path.
Students in this class will learn how to do the following:
• Identify the key steps in the food product development process, stage gate concepts
• Develop a formulation approach with ability to effectively understand how to work well with vendors, handle labeling regulations, food safety and consumer acceptability requirements.
• Create a product unit costing with trade-offs and contingencies for market launch
• Identify key performance requirements for product shelf life testing and packaging specifications
• Evaluate product quality and safety with traditional and state of the art assessment tools
• How to conduct consumer tests, plant trials and introduce new products and processes into the manufacturing operation, contingency planning
• Develop a strategy to monitor and improve performance
Learn more about Food Science and Nutrition at Illinois Tech - http://appliedtech.iit.edu/food-science-and-nutrition
Learn more about Industrial Technology and Management at Illinois Tech - http://appliedtech.iit.edu/industrial-technology-and-management