Whether you live on or off campus or off, you need to protect yourself and where you live. So take a common sense approach to safety and DON'T BE A TARGET:
- Keep your doors and windows locked, even if you are at home
- Don’t let strangers into your home or residence hall/apartment/condo building.
- Be alert to strangers loitering around the building. If you see something suspicious, call the IIT Department of Public Safety.
- Get to know your roommates and their friends.
- Never attach your name and address or identification card to your key ring.
- If you advertise something for sale, do not put your address on it.
- If you want to meet someone you don’t know, do so in a public place.
- Never leave a spare key under a mat, above the doorframe, or anywhere else you think someone will find it—because they will.
- When you leave, never, ever, leave anything cooking on a stove or in an oven.