What YOU Need to Know
Your health insurance choice does not affect the services you may receive at the Student Health and Wellness Center.
All students will be added to the Illinois Tech Student Health Insurance Plan once enrolled in one academic credit hour of class. Accounts will be billed according to the term of entry (see enrollment and premium information).
All Illinois Tech students are required to show proof of health insurance that complies with the United States Department of State guidelines. Additionally, Illinois Tech requires all international students to purchase Illinois Tech's health insurance, provided through Aetna Student Health. Waivers for comparable health insurance plans may apply. Please review our waiver policy and direct questions to email@example.com
- If you are already covered under a different insurance plan, you must waive your SHIP enrollment during the open-enrollment period, before the deadline of September 1.
- To waive enrollment, you must affirm active alternate insurance that meets all of Illinois Tech's comparable coverage requirements.
- Your coverage will begin August 10, 2022 (fall) or January 6, 2023 (spring) and continue through August 9, 2023. Health insurance cards and documents will not be mailed out. You can log on to the Aetna Student Health website and use the Print Your Insurance Card tab, or contact Aetna at 800.841.3140 to request that one be mailed to you.
*If you are considering waiving SHIP, please see the 2022-23 Comparable Coverage Checklist
Not all forms of health insurance are accepted to waive the student plan. Students are not permitted to waive the Illinois Tech student health insurance plan if they have coverage through:
- A travel insurance company
- A company outside of the United States
- A company that only provides monthly coverage
- A life insurance company
You must also be able to answer YES to the following questions:
My plan is currently active or will be active by the first day of class, and I agree to maintain health insurance coverage throughout the 2022-23 academic year.
My plan provides routine, non-emergency care in addition to emergency care in the Chicago area and must have local access to in-network providers. This includes mental health care. Coverage for emergency-only care does not satisfy this requirement.
My plan’s deductible is less than $6,001 for an individual and $12,000 for a family.
My plan is provided by a carrier that is approved to do business in the United States and is ACA-compliant. This means you will receive 100% coverage for preventative care and contraceptive coverage, immunizations, and screening tests such as blood test screenings for tuberculosis and sexually transmitted infections and diseases, as any other illness or injury, with unlimited benefits.
My plan includes coverage for all pre-existing conditions, with no waiting period.
My plan offers an unlimited policy-year maximum.
My plan has coverage for injuries or illnesses that occur as a result of alcohol, drugs, or attempted suicide as any other illness or injury.
Are You Graduating
Are you graduating or only need coverage for the fall term? Complete the "fall only" form by or before December 12, 2022. If you choose to enroll in the "fall only" option, your coverage will be valid from August 10, 2022-January 5, 2023. The cost of your coverage will be $860. You will need to be logged into your MYIIT portal to access the fall-only form.