Data Science (B.S.)
The Bachelor of Science in Data Science combines high-level mathematics, statistics, and computer science skills with the ability to communicate results to make a complicated and dynamic world more comprehensible.
Data science is an inherently interdisciplinary field requiring foundations in mathematics and computer science, as well as professional skills in communications and ethics. Gain these critical skills though Illinois Tech’s Bachelor of Science in Data Science.
Illinois Tech’s B.S. in Data Science program converges fundamental knowledge in mathematics, statistics, and computer science with practical skills in programming, data management, and advanced computing. These are complemented with hands-on experiences through internships, the Interprofessional Projects (IPRO) Program, and by solving real-world problems through course-related projects. Attain crucial professional communications skills in storytelling and visualizations to translate data into solutions.
Understand the foundations for a successful career in data science, which include:
- Assessing data collection, modeling, analysis, visualization, and explanation needs in the context of a client’s needs
- Cleaning, evaluating, and preparing data for exploration, modeling, and analysis
- Designing, implementing, and evaluating relevant computational systems to address data science needs
- Understanding key statistical analysis methods and being able to choose and implement appropriate models for a given data analysis problem
- Effectively deriving and communicating useful insights from data, including through storytelling and visualization
- Effectively communicating in a variety of professional contexts
- Functioning effectively as a member or leader of a team engaged in activities appropriate to the discipline
- Identifying, analyzing, and mitigating ethical, privacy, and data and algorithmic bias issues in practical data science contexts
Combine a foundation in mathematics and computer science with professional skills in communications and ethics in the Bachelor of Science in Data Science. Hands-on experiences through internships and real-world projects highlight how these skills translate data into solutions.
Complete all the necessary prerequisites of the M.A.S. in Data Science after the first two years of study and you can take advantage of Illinois Tech’s Accelerated Master’s Program to complete bachelor’s and master’s degrees in as few as five years. Also, qualify to pursue the M.A.S. in Artificial Intelligence degree.
Gain the needed skills to land a job in a data career, such as:
- Data scientist
- Data analyst
- Data engineer
- Business intelligence developer
The admission requirements of the B.S. in Data Science program are similar to other undergraduate programs of the College of Computing.
Not what you're looking for? View all of Illinois Tech's programs in artificial intelligence, machine learning, computation, and data science.