1. Why has Illinois Institute of Technology waived the testing requirements for fall 2020 applicants?
Due to the global impact that the novel coronavirus has had on testing centers, Illinois Tech has decided to waive the test requirement for fall 2020 applicants. This waiver will apply to all master’s programs.
2. Which tests have been waived?
GRE/GMAT: The test requirement for the GRE/GMAT has been waived for all master’s programs, for the fall 2020 term.
TOEFL/IELTS: The Duolingo English Test can be substituted to fulfill the requirement for the TOEFL/IELTS exam.
3. What graduate programs does the test score waiver apply to?
The test waiver will apply for all master’s programs. Applicants to our doctoral programs are still required to submit the appropriate test results.
4. Does the test waiver apply ONLY to international applicants?
No. The test waiver applies to domestic and international applicants who seek admission to our graduate programs for the fall 2020 term.
5. I have already started/submitted my application for the fall 2020 term. Do I still need to provide my test scores?
No. Current applications will have the test requirement waived, and applicants will receive communication from the Office of Graduate Admission regarding next steps. Applicants who have completed the GRE/GMAT test are urged to provide these scores, as they could be beneficial during the application review process.
6. Will my test scores be considered if I choose to submit them?
The unique circumstance that this global health crisis has created is an opportunity for applicants to demonstrate their academic ability with or without including a test score.
If submitted, GRE/GMAT test scores will be taken into consideration as part of our holistic review. If you choose not to submit them, you will not be penalized and will be considered for admission just the same as students who do submit scores.
7. I have already applied and/or been admitted for fall 2020. How does this change in your admission requirement affect me?
This change will have no negative affect on your status. In the case that this change benefits your application, you will be contacted by the Office of Graduate Admission.
8. I have already been accepted to Illinois Tech for fall 2020, but I am unable to attend in person due to a travel ban as a result of the coronavirus. What options do I have?
Illinois Tech is committed to helping you take the next step with your education.
We are offering a variety of options to help you begin your graduate studies as soon as possible:
Online Courses: We are now offering several engineering and science courses online. By taking your courses online, you can begin your studies on time, even if your travel is delayed in 2020. When the travel restrictions end, you can continue your studies on our Chicago campus beginning in spring 2021. To view online courses and submit your request, click here.
Admission Deferral: You can choose to defer your studies for up to one year (two full semesters). Since you have already been admitted, you can simply wait to travel to Chicago at a later date. This is a good option if you would like to enroll in a program that does not offer online courses. If you are interested in an admission deferral, please contact the Office of Graduate Admission at either 312.567.3020 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. I have yet to begin my application for fall 2020. Am I eligible for this test waiver?
Yes. Please take advantage of this rare opportunity and submit your application now.
10. If I still have more questions about this admission requirement, who can I contact?
Please contact the Office of Graduate Admission at either 312.567.3020 or email@example.com.