Be sure to make your flight reservations well in advance and reconfirm your reservations prior to arriving at your departing airport. Here are options on how to arrive on campus.
New Student Orientation is mandatory for undergraduate and graduate students, so please refer to the following schedules:
Undergraduate Students: Orientation Schedule
Graduate Students: GO Sessions
For the Spring 2023 semester, classes will start on Monday, January 9th, 2023 for IIT Mies "Main" Campus and Stuart School of Business. If you are in another program, please check your admission materials.
Arrival to the U.S.
- Make certain you have all the necessary documents with you (passport, I-20/DS-2019, proof of finances) and that you hold them in a secure place. Do not put your documents in checked baggage. You will be expected to present them to immigration officials upon your arrival. The immigration officer will look at your I-20/DS-2019 and they may or may not stamp your passport.
- You will be photographed and fingerprinted as part of a registration procedure in the US VISIT system. This whole process should not take more than a few minutes.
- We encourage students to have a copy of the Customs and Border Patrol Letter with them. The letter is not required for entry into the U.S., it is just encouraged for students to have with them.
- The I-94 system has been automated. For more information, click here.
- For more information about what to expect at the U.S. Port of Entry, please consult the following website.