Welcome to Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration!
Illinois Tech is committed to the academic and personal success of our students. SOAR (Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration) is designed to introduce incoming students to campus resources, academic advising and a group of their peers. Family SOAR is also available during summer sessions for undergraduate student parents, families and supports. SOAR is offered over the summer for undergraduate first-year and transfer students, as well as the start of each semester for graduate and undergraduate students.
So...are you ready to SOAR into Illinois Tech? We are very excited to have you as a member of the Illinois Tech community and look forward to having you on campus!
Due to the impact of COVID-19, Illinois Tech is bringing SOAR online for summer 2020. Four SOAR dates will be offered this summer, spanning one week each. All SOAR dates are open to undergraduate first-year, transfer, and international students.
You will have the opportunity to participate in live sessions throughout your scheduled SOAR week or access pre-recorded sessions on your own time. We strongly recommend the attending live sessions as they are more dynamic and your SOAR leaders will facilitate activities with you and your fellow classmates. Live sessions will take place in the daytime in 2-3 hour increments. Session times will be emailed to you in the week leading up to your registered SOAR week.
SOAR Dates and Registration:
International-specific sessions will be available upon arrival on campus in August.
SOAR participants will be able to...
- Explain your academic requirements and expectations
- Identify resources that will assist you in succeeding academically and socially at Illinois Tech
- Describe how to get involved within the Office of Campus Life and Campus Recreation at Illinois Tech
- Describe ways that you can help create an inclusive community
- Understand how to navigate the technology services that you will use throughout your experience at Illinois Tech
- Understand the purpose of higher education and identify how it relates to your education goals
- Describe the rights and responsibilities associated with being a part of the Illinois Tech campus community
- Be familiar with faculty, staff, and students on campus
As a parent, family member, or support of new Illinois Tech students, you are invited to attend Family SOAR!
Some of the topics that are covered in the Family orientation include: financial aid, transitional issues of students, and how to assist your student during their time in college. Illinois Tech sees family members and supporters are an important part of the Illinois Tech Community and as partners to the institution—Family SOAR acts as your first step in joining this community and partnership!
After attending Family SOAR, participants will be able to…
- Families will gain comprehensive information on campus resources available to them and their student(s).
- Be familiar with faculty, staff, and students on campus.
- Identify tips to help support their student through interactions with faculty and professional staff members.
- Recognize transitional issues that incoming students might face during their first year at Illinois Tech.
To learn more about our Tech Connect, a resource for Illinois Tech family members, please go to our Tech Connect page.
Parents and Families will be able to sign up for a Family SOAR session beginning in June. You will receive more information and a link to register when it becomes available.