Is Soar Mandatory for Students?
SOAR (Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration) program is mandatory for all incoming undergraduate students. Students who participate in the SOAR program will be able to meet classmates, meet with their academic adviser, register for classes, and learn about many of the campus resources available for our students.
Family members of students attending SOAR will have their own orientation program, but it is not required to attend.
Why Does Soar Matter?
There are many reasons as to why we believe SOAR is important to the success of our new students at Illinois Tech. Here are a few that you can look forward to when you attend!
- Staff & faculty introductions – It’s all about the relationships that help students along every step of the way from that first day to commencement.
- Tours – Familiarity with campus gives students comfort and helps them better navigate their first week on campus. It’s beneficial to “see” where the computer lab, library and other important rooms are located. This is also when we spend time showing students how to use IIT's internal portal system, MyIIT.
- Class schedule assistance – This is a great time for students to receive help answering questions about their class schedule.
- Experience campus life – It’s a great time to see and feel what campus life is like! From learning more about student organizations, dining, and the residential experience—there's lots to explore!
- Understand expectations – We are a university that is serious about ensuring our students are successful students and alumni. It is important for new students to understand the expectations needed for graduation and beyond.
- Make connections—Some of the closest friends are the ones students meet at SOAR. It’s important to have peers who can share this exciting journey with you.
What If I Haven't Received Any Information about Soar?
Once you submit your enrollment deposit, you should receive an invitation to register for SOAR within a week. If you still have not received any information, please email email@example.com. Please lookout for a confirmation email the week before SOAR with the schedule and additional information pertaining to orientation. Furthermore, if you do not receive an email please check your email's Spam/Promotions folders and then update you email settings so we're on your safe send list.
What If I Am an Undecided Major?
If you are undecided on your major - don't worry! There will be faculty advisers at SOAR specifically for undecided students. Illinois Tech encourages students to take the time to choose the major that is right for them. There are many resources available at SOAR as well as after a student's arrival on campus that can help them through this exploration process.
Do I Need to Attend Soar If I Have Already Spoken with My Adviser?
It is great that you have already made contact with faculty on campus! However, there is much more than academic advising that goes into SOAR that we would not want you to miss. This includes information on campus resources, activities, and community!
When Is Move-In Day?
Spring 2021 move-in day begins January 4. Click here for more information about Residence Hall Move-In.
What Do I Need to Know about International Check-In?
All F-1/J-1 students must check in with the International Center upon arrival to campus. Holds will be removed from your account after checking in. Students only need to check in with the International Center staff once. For more information about International Check-In, please click here.
Who Are Soar Leaders?
SOAR Leaders are current Illinois Tech students who have gone through a competitive application process and intensive training in order to have the opportunity to assist incoming Illinois Tech students. Student Life Leader selection recruits students from different backgrounds, majors, and involvements on campus. They are eager to answer all of their questions and have some fun with you in the process! Each SOAR Leader will be assigned a group of new students during every SOAR session who they will help to acclimate to Illinois Tech.
Who Organizes Soar at Illinois Tech?
The SOAR program is run by the Office of Campus Life (OCL). You can reach us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 312-567-3720. OCL works closely with all of the academic colleges and resource offices on campus to provide an all encompassing view of Illinois Tech during your visit. The SOAR Leaders are also an integral part of SOAR and are carefully selected campus leaders who will serve as mentors and friends through the process of becoming an Illinois Tech student. They provide a real student's perspective about what it is to be an Illinois Tech student.
What Are the Major Offices Students Need to Know About?
Below, please find a list of offices commonly referred to by new students.
- Academic Resource Center
- Office of Campus Life
- Career Management Center
- Dean of Students
- Dining Services
- Disability Resources
- English Language Services
- Financial Aid
- Graduate Admissions
- Graduate Academic Affairs
- International Center
- Office of Technology Services (OTS)
- One Stop
- Parking and Permits
- Public Safety
- Registrar's Office
- Residence and Greek Life
- Student Accounting
- Study Abroad
- Student Health and Wellness Center
- Undergraduate Academic Affairs
- Undergraduate Admission
- University Student Handbook
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Campus Life at 312.567.3720 or email@example.com.