Only students who are registered for full-time academic hours (Grad students - 9 billable academic hours, Undergrad students -12 billable academic hours) are eligible to participate in the U-Pass program. The U-Pass fee of $155.00 is typically a mandatory fee for all full-time students. However, CTA is offering optional participation for Fall 2022 and Spring 2023. The fee will only apply to full-time student accounts that have chosen to OPT-IN for the semester. Refer below to the Ventra UPass Opt-In Update section for related information.
During semesters when the UPass fee becomes mandatory for full-time students, the fee can only be waived by students with a valid military UPass, students with a valid paratransit card, or distance online learning students who reside 50 miles or more from Mies campus. Eligible requests to waive the UPass fee must be submitted by email each semester to email@example.com by the end of the 4th week of classes. Requests submitted after the 4th week will not be considered.
If you drop below full-time during the semester, you must notify firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. Failure to do so may result in you not being allowed to activate your next semester's UPass until after the add/drop date. A second violation will result in permanent cancellation of your Ventra card. Once your Ventra card is cancelled it will cost you $50 to obtain a new one.
If you are transferring from another institution and already have a Ventra UPass card, you can have it transferred to Illinois Tech. Email us at email@example.com. Please include your name, student ID number, name of the college you are transferring from, and the 16 digit number on the back of your card.
If your UPass is lost or stolen, you can order a replacement card online.
Additional Notes about U-Pass
- Only you can use your UPass. You cannot share or sell your UPass. If this rule is violated and your UPass is confiscated your UPass privileges will be canceled by CTA for a full year (you will still have to pay the UPass fee).
- You cannot use your UPass on Metra or Pace.
- If you drop below full-time during the semester, your UPass will be deactivated for that semester. If this happens, please retain your Ventra UPass card. The same card will be reactivated if your eligibility resumes at a later date. A replacement card and its associated $50 fee will be required if you do not retain the original card.
Spring 2023 Ventra UPass Program
Spring 2023 Ventra UPasses will be valid Friday, January 6 - Sunday, May 7, 2023. All eligible full-time students who choose to participate in the program should complete the Spring 2023 Ventra UPass Opt-In Form. Completing the opt-in form ensures your UPass will be ordered/activated and your account billed the $155 UPass semester fee. You must complete this OPT-IN form by January 21, 2023 to receive the UPass for the semester.
Final Opt-in and Change Request Deadline
OPT-INs WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER JANUARY 21. Students that have opted-in, but decide to no longer receive the UPass will be extended a (1) time Change Request per semester. Students who would like to change their opt-in request must email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the add/drop deadline of January 21.
Priority Online Photo Submission Deadline
For new students, your HawkCard ID photo is needed to order your Ventra UPass card. The priority submission deadline to upload your photo through MyHawkCard is December 21. Uploading your photo by this deadline ensures your UPass will be ready for pickup by the UPass semester effective date.
We will continue to order new UPasses from CTA between January 3 - January 21 for students that opt-in. Please note the pickup date will be 1-2 weeks after the HawkCard photo is submitted.
For returning students that opt-in, a new card will not be issued. Your UPass will be activated for Spring 2023 on January 6, 2023 if the request is received by December 21, 2022 or within (2) business days for requests received between January 6 and January 21.
New and replacement Ventra UPass cards will be distributed at the Campus Business Services Center (CBSC) in MTCC, 514. Students will receive an email when their card is ready for pickup.
- If you are registered full time, have completed the Opt-In Form by the final January 21 deadline, do not have a negative balance on your Ventra account, and your UPass is not activated, please email email@example.com. Eligible UPass activation requests will be updated within (2) business days.
- UPass accounts with a negative balance will not activate until funds are added to satisfy the outstanding balance. Please check your account balance through the Ventra app or on the Ventra website prior to January 6.
- As a reminder, dropping below full-time registration status will result in the deactivation of your Ventra UPass.
- For questions about your balance on your Ventra account contact Ventra Customer Service at 877.669.8368.
Conviser Law Center Student UPass Requests
Conviser Law Center students MUST contact Jenna Abhijeet (firstname.lastname@example.org) regarding their UPass.