As you prepare for your arrival, please see below for information about how to reach our campus.
It's easy to get to Illinois Tech's Mies Campus by taxi or public transit. View our directions to campus to plan your route.
Public Transportation: If you're flying into Chicago’s O'Hare International Airport (ORD), you can reach campus by Chicago Transit Authority (CTA).
Taxi: If you prefer to take a taxi from the airport, please find the taxi stand. Information on taxis at O’Hare can be found here.
Go Express: If you are traveling with family and friends and would like to take a shuttle from either airport to Mies Campus or Conviser Law Center, you can get more information by clicking here. Prices start at approximately $35 per person.
Please note that if you plan to use any rideshare like Lyft or Uber to travel to campus, prepare the following in advance:
- Download the Lyft or Uber app to your smartphone
- Add your credit card information before traveling
- Ensure that you have data service enabled on your smartphone
- Connect with the Office of Residence Life to ensure your room is ready for your arrival
- Update your Application Tracker to include your flight information
Arriving on Campus and Check-In
All new international students, including transfer students, must virtually check-in with the International Center, and also with their residence hall (if they plan on living on Mies campus). This is mandated by the United States government. Due to government regulations, the latest date a student can arrive into the U.S. for the Fall 2021 semester is September 4th, 2021. All new students must check in virtually with the International The form to virtually check-in can be found here.
- Visit www.flychicago.com to learn about services offered at each airport.
- The currency in the United States is the dollar. We recommend having some on you prior to landing in the United States in case you have to pay for anything immediately.
- You should have your destination address ready. We recommend providing the following address for Illinois Institute of Technology: 3201 S. State St. Chicago, IL 60616
At both airports, follow the signs for ground transportation. Once you arrive, look for the taxi line. Stand in the taxi line and when it is your turn to get into the taxi, give them the address of where you are going to.
If you are going to the Mies Campus, we recommend providing the address for McCormick Tribune Campus Center (3201 South State Street). If you are going to the Conviser Law Center, the address is 565 West Adams Street.
Below are approximate costs for taxis:
- O’Hare International Airport to Mies Campus: $55 + tip
- O’Hare International Airport to Conviser Law Center: $48 + tip
- Midway International Airport to Mies Campus: $30 + tip
- Midway International Airport to Conviser Law Center: $34 + tip
Go Airport Express
If you are traveling with family and friends and would like to take a shuttle from either airport to Mies Campus or Conviser Law Center, you can get more information by clicking here. Prices start at approximately $35 per person.
Train: Chicago Transit Authority (CTA)
Chicago also has a public train and bus system that can help you get to either Mies Campus. You will need to purchase a transit card to take the CTA. The kiosk accepts cash and credit but does not provide change. The transit card costs $5 and you will need to add $6 per person to get you to your destination.
O’Hare International Airport to Mies Campus:
- From the international terminal, you will need to follow the signs that say, “Airport Transit System” and take the tram to Terminal 2.
- When you get off the tram, follow the signs that say, “Train to City.”
- When you get to the CTA, purchase your transit card and board the next departing train. You are now on the Blue line.
- Take the Blue line to the Jackson stop.
- From the Jackson stop, you will need to transfer to the Red line. Look for the signs that say, “Red Line.” You will have to walk down the stairs and through a tunnel.
- Take the Red Line in the direction of 95th/Dan Ryan. You will get off at the stop Sox-35th.
- When you get off the train, walk east towards State street to get to campus.
Midway International Airport to Mies Campus:
- Look for the signs that say, “Train to City.”
- When you get to the CTA, purchase your transit card and board the next departing train. You are now on the Orange line.
- Take the Orange line to the Roosevelt stop.
- At the Roosevelt stop, you will need to transfer to the Green line.
- Take the Green line train going towards Ashland/63rd.
- Get off at the 35th-Bronzeville-IIT stop.
- Walk down the stairs and you will be on Mies campus.