The Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) includes oversight of experimentation that involves recombinant DNA, biological materials (e.g., infectious agents), and other potentially hazardous agents (e.g., carcinogens). Please submit an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or would like to submit an application for review.
IBC Annual Progress Report
Biosafety and Security Training
IIT requires all individuals involved in the conduct of recombinant DNA and/or biological materials research to complete initial biosafety and security training. IBC approval will be withheld if these training requirements have not been met.
These requirements apply to all persons with a significant role in the research, such as:
- Principal Investigators, Co-investigators, other IIT researchers, non-affiliates, and
- Individuals who will obtain informed consent from prospective participants in research or analyze data that have participant identifiers.
NOTE: Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) and Conflicts of Interest courses DO NOT satisfy the biosafety and security training requirement, but are required in addition to the biosafety and security courses.
The biosafety and security courses available through CITI that satisfy the requirement are:
- Basic Biosafety Training
- Animal Biosafety
- Biosafety Complete Training
Other biosafety and security courses that may be required:
- Biosafety Retraining
- Shipping and Transport of regulated Biological Materials
- OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens
- Select Agents, Biosecurity and Bioterrorism
- Emergency and Incident Response to Biohazard Spills and Releases
- Human Gene Transfer trials
- NIH Recombinant DNA (rDNA) Guidelines
- OSHA Personal Protective Equipment Training
- Hazard Communication
CITI Program is IIT's exclusive provider of research compliance and ethics training. CITI courses may be accessed through the myIIT portal. To complete required biosafety and security training, complete the steps given in this document through CITI. (CITI Directions)
If training was completed at another institution, please send a PDF of the training certificate to email@example.com to determine whether it meets IIT’s training requirements.
Recertification is required every 3 years.
Please note that a CITI refresher course may fulfil this requirement up to 3 times, and then the CITI basic course will be required at the next recertification.
IBC Meetings and Deadlines
IBC applications must be submitted before the deadlines listed below.
Upcoming IBC Meetings
|Deadline for Submission||Meeting Date||Time|
|To Be Determined||May 9, 2023||TBD|
More Information About Biosafety and Federal Requirements
NIH Office of Biotechnology Activities and Guidelines
NIH Biosafety and Biosecurity Policy
Executive Officer – IBC Office