Photo of Carrie Hall and student working on an engine in the lab

Academic Advising

At Armour College of Engineering we’re dedicated to providing students with individualized advising to ensure all-around student success. Students are encouraged to contact their advisers throughout the semester with any questions or concerns. 

Students will need to meet with their adviser each semester to discuss their course selection.

Frequently Asked Questions

For information on how to get your PIN, how to obtain a permit to enroll in a course with restricted guidelines, and more, visit the Office of the Registrar home page.

Recently admitted students should visit Undergraduate Admissions for more information.

For most questions about courses, research, or otherwise, students should contact their primary adviser. Students can find out who their adviser is by logging into Degree Works. Students can access Degree Works through their myIIT portal under the Academics tab. Information about advisers is found near the top of the page.

When contacting your adviser please provide your CWID number.

All incoming first-year students who begin in the fall 2022 semester or later will have an advising team through Armour Academy, which combines the guaranteed access to real-world experiences of Illinois Tech’s one-of-a-kind Elevate program with personalized guidance from engineering industry mentors.

Follow the instructions on the Undergraduate Academic Affairs Change or Declare a Major page.

Students should go to the registrar’s credit hour limits page and fill out the Credit Overload Request Form provided at the bottom of the page. Once submitted, the form will go to your adviser for approval.

Complete the Transfer Credit Petition for pre-approval. Please note that you must submit the petition before taking the course in order to transfer course credit to Illinois Tech after successfully completing your courses, and be sure to have your official transcript sent to Illinois Tech once the final grade has been included.

In order to register for a research and thesis, project, or special topics course (491, 494, 497, 591, 594, 597, 691), contact your primary academic adviser to obtain an online permit.

Undergraduate transfer students should identify and contact the undergraduate admissions transfer counselor associated with the institution they are transferring from.  

Graduate students should contact Graduate Admissions (

Armour College of Engineering

10 West 33rd Street | Perlstein Hall, Suite 224 | Chicago, IL | 60616