Environmental Management and Sustainability (M.S.)
In this era of rapid globalization and ecological change, environmental sustainability has become a major challenge—and an imperative—for societies and businesses alike. Solving these complex problems requires environmental managers who can bridge the realms of technology, environmental science, business, ethics, and social responsibility.
As an environmental sustainability program at a business school and within a tech-focused university, the Master of Science in Environmental Management and Sustainability program is uniquely positioned to prepare professionals to successfully collaborate with scientists and engineers, navigate environmental and social sustainability issues, and drive business success.
Chicago boasts a dynamic mix of high-tech companies, entrepreneurial activity, green businesses, and local efforts to build sustainable communities. Illinois Tech’s location, along with connections built by Stuart School of Business faculty, put those resources within reach, providing students with opportunities for hands-on projects, networking with industry professionals, and pathways to careers in the nonprofit, governmental, and business sectors.
The Master of Science in Environmental Management and Sustainability program prepares graduates to be effective analysts and managers who can collaborate with scientists and engineers and take the lead in solving complex environmental and social sustainability issues.
Master of Science in Environmental Management and Sustainability graduates are equipped to work in environmental sustainability and compliance management as consultants, entrepreneurs, and professionals who can successfully make the business case for sustainability.
Companies, organizations, and governmental agencies that have hired Environmental Management and Sustainability graduates include:
- Motorola Solutions
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Solarmer Energy
- Fermilab (United States Department of Energy)
- Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago
- TerraLocke Sustainability Consultants
The Master of Science in Environmental Management and Sustainability program integrates law, science, business, and public policy to give students the knowledge and tools they need to develop sustainable business solutions.
- Completed Online Application
- Official transcript submission with a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- GMAT or GRE score within five years of testing date. Required scores for consideration: 298 GRE or 500 GMAT. The GRE or GMAT requirement may be waived on a case-by-case basis for highly qualified applicants based on work experience and prior academic performance
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score, if required. A minimum score of 85 on the internet-based TOEFL, 600 on the paper-based TOEFL, or 7.0 on the IELTS exam is required for admission consideration
- A one-page professional statement of goals and objectives
- At least one letter of recommendation from an academic or professional reference
The Chicago Talent Pipeline Scholarship supports motivated individuals to advance their career paths in Chicago’s dynamic environmental management and sustainability industry. Domestic candidates for the Master of Science in Environmental Management and Sustainability program may apply for the scholarship, which awards students up to $20,000 toward this degree program.
This is a STEM-designated program, and international graduates of the program are eligible to apply for an extension for Optional Practical Training.
Veteran applicants: Illinois Institute of Technology proudly processes Department of Veterans Affairs benefits for admitted veteran students. Click here for more information.