Advising PIN (required for registration each semester)

Each academic unit issues the Advising PIN that is required for registration in the first semester of student enrollment at Illinois Tech.

First Semester of Enrollment

In order to receive your PIN to register, you must meet with your faculty adviser for program and course advising. Your adviser will provide the PIN for you to register. The name and contact information of your adviser was given to you in an email communication through the Graduate Admission Office, and is also available in your MyIIT portal under the "Academics" tab in the “Academic Profile” channel. If you are unable to locate your adviser’s name or unable to contact your adviser, email for assistance; include your adviser’s name and your CWID number in your email. This information also applies to distance learning students.

Continuing Semesters of Enrollment

The registration PIN will be displayed in the MyIIT portal on the “Welcome” tab, located on the “IIT Personal ID Numbers” channel:

Advising A Number

Graduate Academic Advising

Graduate students are required to complete a mandatory advising session with the graduate academic (or Accelerated Master's Program) adviser. The GP Graduate Advising Hold becomes active before the next semester of registration opens for:

  • Accelerated master's students in the first semester of graduate enrollment
  • Traditional masters students at nine earned or enrolled credits
  • Doctoral students at 18 earned or enrolled credits

The hold prevents registration before the following semester, until lifted by the adviser, and a mandatory advising session is required for the student to clear the registration hold.

How to Schedule Academic Advising Session to Remove Hold

Graduate students are required to meet with their academic adviser prior to registration in order to remove the mandatory advising hold. Students should contact their adviser directly by email.

Accelerated master's student registration holds will be removed when the student submits the declaration of accelerated master's shared and non-shared courses in eForms, after it is approved by their adviser, academic unit, and Graduate Academic Affairs, which will then lift the hold. Students will need to see their adviser for shared and non-shared course advising. Please refer to the "Accelerated Master's Program Advising" link below.

If your academic adviser does not respond within two to three business days, you should forward the email that was sent to your adviser to with your CWID number for assistance.

Advising Topics

Student Resources