Illinois Tech graduate students are invited to apply for the Starr Research Fellowship and the Fieldhouse Research Fellowship. Each fellowship provides up to $15,000 for one year and can be used for tuition support and stipend. The fellowships are not renewable, but may be supplemented by funding from other sources.
The fellowships are made possible through a generous donation from the Starr Foundation, and Illinois Tech’s capital campaign match to honor Irv Fieldhouse, who until his death in 2005 had been an active member of the Illinois Tech/IITRI community for more than 40 years. To enhance Fieldhouse’s commitment in developing joint research projects, both fellowships target research that leads to cooperation between Illinois Tech and IIT Research Institute (IITRI), the Institute for Food Safety and Health (IFSH), Fermilab, or Argonne National Laboratory (ANL).
Illinois Tech students currently enrolled in a Master of Science or Doctoral program. The student must be nominated by an Illinois Tech faculty member (see below for faculty member eligibility). Note: International students are eligible to apply.
The fellows are required to pursue advanced study and research under faculty guidance; support faculty and their external advisors in specific research projects; and make their own contributions to academe through writing and research.
A single application is considered for both the Starr Research Fellowship and the Fieldhouse Research Fellowship.
Eligibility of Advisor
Advisor must be a tenure-track Assistant Professor or above. If the professor intends to send their own letter of recommendation to the Office of Research, the deadline still applies to them. If they miss the deadline for submission, the student will be disqualified.
Note: The Illinois Tech advisor should recommend the contact and initiate the communication with IITRI, IFSH, Fermilab, or ANL.
Application Packet Requirements
- Completed application form (find in the next section)
- A proposed plan of research describing the proposed work, its novelty and importance, and its impact on collaboration between IIT and IITRI, IFSH, Fermilab, or ANL
- Previous Research Experience
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
(include the Reference Report Form for each reference)
- One from the Illinois Tech research advisor
- One from the external research advisor (outside of IIT)
- One other reference (can be a professor at Illinois Tech that is not your research advisor)
- Copies of college transcripts
(unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
- Resume or CV
- The documents should be sent together in an email to the extent possible. If recommendation letters are coming separately from different sources they have the same deadline. Failure to meet the deadline will disqualifiy the applicant.
Download Application Material
- Application Form (Starr Fieldhouse Research Fellowships are combined- check both boxes)
- Reference Report Form
DEADLINE: The competition for 2023 is closed. Please watch for updates for 2024.
Application, references, and reference report forms should be emailed to email@example.com no later than 5pm on the day of the deadline or the application will be rejected.