- Subscription Services
- Select Federal Agencies
- Limited Submission Grant Competitions
- Select Foundations
- Internal Funding Opportunities (ERIF, WISER, Starr/Fieldhouse)
- Awards and Prizes (SigmaXi/IIT Awards, Toprani Award)
- Fellowships and Scholarships (for Faculty, Undergraduates, Graduates and Post-Doctoral)
- Fulbright Scholarship Program The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers research, study and teaching opportunities in over 140 countries to recent graduates and graduate students
These subscription services are free.
- FedBizOpps.gov - Listings for federal funding opportunities.
- Federal Register - Federal information archive containing details on federal funding opportunities.
- Grant Forward - A specialized data-crawling technology with an extensive database of sponsors and funding opportunities.
- Grants.gov – Funding opportunities for all 26 federal agencies.
- National Science Foundation - Get NSF funding information via email or by RSS.
Note : Links with an asterisk (*) have a subscription service to receive funding opportunites via email. There is no fee to sign up for this service.
- Department of Defense - Centralized list of DoD funding opportunities
- *Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency - Funding opportunities in DARPA.
- Department of Defense, Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program - Biomedical Research Portal
- Institute of Education Studies - Get information about funding opportunities with the Institute of Education Studies.
- *National Cancer Institute - Find current and recent NCI-supported funding opportunities for areas of research.
- *National Endowment for the Arts – Funding for projects consisting of one or more specific events or activities only.
- *National Endowment for the Humanities – Search and subscribe to funding opportunities.
- *National Institutes of Health - Track the release of new funding opportunities published in the NIH Guide.
- National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities - Find NIMHD funding opportunities.
- *National Science Foundation - Get NSF funding information by RSS.
- Proposal Central - Funding opportunities from professional societies and foundations.
- U.S. Air Force Office of Scientific Research - Air Force's basic research program.
- U.S. Army Research Office - Army's research in engineering, physical, information and life sciences.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture - Get information about funding opportunities with the Department of Agriculture.
- U.S. Department of Education - Get information about funding opportunities with the US Department of Education
- U.S. Department of Energy
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development - Funding opportunities with the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Funding opportunities with the department of Environmental Protection Agency.
Some sponsors have limits on the number of proposals that may be submitted from an organization. In these cases, an internal selection process is required to determine which proposals will go forward. Faculty wishing to participate are required to submit a pre-proposal (details at the bottom of this page) for an internal competition. If your proposal is selected to move forward, your proposal may require an internal or “red team” review. Additional information will be provided at the time of selection.
You can find a list of proposals known to limit the number of submissions, the sponsor deadlines, and the internal deadlines for pre-proposals here. Instructions for submitting a pre-proposal follow this list.
NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION LIMITED SUBMISSIONS
A complete list of NSF limited submissions can be found here.
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
- Alzheimers Association
- American Cancer Society
- American Chemical Society
- American Heart Association
- American Psychological Assocaition
- Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Grand Challenges in Global Health.
- Brain Research Foundation
- Camille & Henry Dreyfus Foundation
- Illinois Clean Energy Community Foundation
- Institute of International Education
- John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Motorola Solutions Foundation
- National Academy of Engineering
- National Academy of Sciences
- Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute
- Rita Allen Foundation
Internal Funding Opportunities (ERIF, WISER, Starr/Fieldhouse, CISC)
Illinois Tech provides research faculty with opportunities to apply for internal funding for proposed research projects.
- Educational and Research Initiative Fund (ERIF)
- WISER CSFG Program
- Starr/Fieldhouse Research Fellowship
In additional to federal funding opportunities, non-federal organizations also provide fellowships and scholarships for research, student funding, and professional advancement. For more details, click here.