Management Science (Ph.D.)
The Ph.D. in Management Science program prepares graduates to identify pressing issues facing the business community, structure problems and gather data, and create innovative, impactful analysis and solutions.
Emphasizing both analysis and synthesis, the program delivers a comprehensive, advanced education in how to apply quantitative methods, analytical tools, and computer models to complex decision-making in business, finance, and other disciplines.
Through specializations in quantitative finance and analytics and rigorous dissertation work, students master a data-intensive approach to management science and research methodologies that can be applied to any aspect of business.
Doctoral students at Stuart School of Business have opportunities to conduct cutting-edge research alongside faculty experts and gain relevant, cross-disciplinary experience that prepares them to be business innovators in academia, industry, government, and consulting.
The Ph.D. in Management Science program prepares graduates to identify pressing issues facing the business community, structure problems, gather data, and create innovative, impactful analysis and solutions. The program’s data-intensive approach and rigorous research training apply to any aspect of business.
Ph.D. graduates from Stuart School of Business are prepared to excel at careers in academia as well as executive and management positions in the business, government, and consulting sectors.
The program’s graduates are in positions at universities and companies such as:
- Air Products
- Benedictine University
- BMO Harris
- Envestnet Asset Management
- Illinois Tech
- Northeastern Illinois University
The program’s courses provide knowledge and skills in data-intensive methods to analyze business problems. Through rigorous dissertation work, students learn approaches for structuring complex business problems, gathering data, and generating solutions.
- Completed Online Application
- Official transcript submission with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- GMAT or GRE score within five years of testing date. Required scores for consideration: 316 GRE or 650 GMAT
- Professional statement
- Three to four letters of recommendation from professors or employers
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score, if required. A minimum score of 85 on the internet-based TOEFL, 600 on the paper-based TOEFL, or 7.0 on the IELTS exam is required for admission consideration
Given the prescribed sequence of required courses, new students are only admitted in the fall semester of each year.
Stuart School of Business programs in management science provide flexibility for students pursuing graduate work:
- Students who initially enrolled in the M.S. program in Management Science may subsequently apply to the Ph.D. program in Management Science. If admitted, students can apply the core courses in management science that they have already completed toward their Ph.D. program.
- Similarly, a Ph.D. student in Management Science who completed 33 graduate credits may choose to graduate with an M.S. in Management Science degree, instead of completing the Ph.D. degree in Management Science.
This is a STEM-designated program, and international graduates of the program are eligible to apply for an extension for Optional Practical Training.