Multiple industry and corporate partners have recognized Illinois Tech’s unique position to merge technological research and development with the sports industry. They participate in classroom projects, give feedback to student developers and researchers, and provide insight about current industry trends.
Partners engage with Illinois Tech’s core research faculty across most of its colleges, including but not limited to the fields of engineering, computer and data science, human sciences, nutrition, XR technologies, and business analytics. They also can engage with student interdisciplinary teams under the direction of those faculty, to get fresh perspectives on how to solve industry challenges.
Typical engagements include:
- Sports Lab courses partially sponsored by sporting goods manufacturers to explore new product ideas and sustainability opportunities
- Material science research to improve performance of sports equipment
- Facilitated workshops in emerging technologies
- Participation in student startup accelerator programs
- Access to talent via offered internship opportunities