J-1 status is appropriate for visiting researchers and professors coming to Illinois Tech for short to medium durations of time. Those on J-1 status are called J-1 Exchange Visitors. Students are also eligible for the J-1 status if they are coming as visiting/exchange or degree-seeking students. Students work with Illinois Tech Admission's Offices while scholars work directly with Illinois Tech host departments.
The J-1 visa category was created "to increase mutual understanding between people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchanges." -U.S. Department of State.
J-1 Status Suitability
Visiting researchers, professors, and lecturers
Visiting/exchange and degree-seeking
J-1 Scholar Immigration Process
Below are the required steps the department administrator must follow for the immigration process:
- The Department has issued an official Invitation Letter to the prospective Scholar. This letter is also sent to the Office of the Provost along with the scholar's CV and a request memo. The Office of the Provost will assist with creating the scholar's CWID.
- The Department will create a new "sponsorship request" in the ISSS Portal to initiate the immigration process. If you do not have access to ISSS, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, CWID and department(s) for us to properly add you into the portal.
- The Office of Global Services (OGS) will establish the Scholar's profile within 2 business days and provide an invitation email for the Scholar to access the portal and begin working on their Scholar Responsibilities and Documentation.
- The Department will fill out the required department information and upload the official Invitation Letter within the portal. It is the Department's responsibility to track the Scholar's progress in providing all required documentation in the ISSS Portal.
- Once everything has been provided from both the Department and Scholar, the Department will "submit" the scholar immigration request for approval in the ISSS Portal for OGS to review and issue the DS-2019 (estimated processing 7 business days).
Learn how to navigate and use the ISSS Portal by watching our recording for department administrators: https://tinyurl.com/ISSSDeptAdminDemo
Learn about the Department's responsibilities for the J-1 Scholar process from the OGS's training slides.
J-1 Scholar Financial & Health Insurance Requirements
J-1 Exchange Visitors (EV) may receive a salary or stipend from various parties. They can receive funding from Illinois Tech, the government, private organizations, their current place of employment (outside the United States), or personal funds but the funding must meet the current living-expense requirement. This requirement is currently $1,430/month or $17,160/year and does not include child care or health care costs.
According to J-1 U.S. Department of State regulations, all EVs must maintain sufficient health insurance during the duration of their J-1 status.
J-1 Scholar Categories
Within the J-1 status there are several J-1 scholar categories. Each category has its own requirements and restrictions. OGS will work with the departments to determine what category best fits the program.
|J-1 Category||Purpose||Time limitations||Restrictions||Illinois Tech Position|
|Short-term Scholar||Research, lecture, observe, consult, or train||Six months maximum duration||Cannot extend program beyond six months||Visiting researcher, research associate, visiting scholar|
|Research Scholar||Research, observe, or consult in connection with a research project||Three weeks to five years||Repeat participation prohibited: Cannot return to the U.S. for two years in research/professor category. Prior participation: Not eligible to begin a new program if visitor was present in any J status for all or part of the 12-month period preceding the anticipated begin date at IIT. The IC will assist with determining if these restrictions apply.||Visiting researcher, senior research associate, research associate, visiting scholar|
|Professor||Primarily to teach||Three weeks to five years||Repeat participation prohibited: Cannot return to the U.S. for two years in research/professor category. Prior participation: Not eligible to begin a new program if visitor was present in any J status for all or part of the 12 month period preceding the anticipated begin date at IIT. The IC will assist with determining if these restrictions apply.||Visiting professor|
Requests should be submitted to OGS in early as possible, so that we may issue the DS-2019, which is used to apply for a J-1 entry visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad. While in most cases OGS will process the request and issue the DS-2019 within 7 business days of submission, delays in visa processing overseas are not uncommon. Therefore, we strongly advise that J-1 requests and required documentation be submitted to our office at least 2 months in advance of the J-1 scholar’s anticipated start date at IIT. Please note that in some instances visa processing may take longer.