On-Campus Employment

An on-campus job is more than just a paycheck and an easy commute. On-campus jobs will teach you valuable skills for your future career. Just like the real job market, acquiring on-campus jobs can be competitive. F-1/J-1 students may work on-campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full-time during school vacation periods. J-1 students must obtain additional work authorization from the Office of Global Services for on-campus employment. For additional information, refer to the On-Campus Employment page

F-1 Off-Campus Employment

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for students is temporary employment that allows an F-1 student to gain practical experience through internships, cooperative education, or practicums. It is an integral part of the curriculum and must be directly related to the F-1 student’s major field of study. It is either a required part of the curriculum or taken for credit. For additional information, refer to the Curricular Practical Training page.

Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) is for undergraduate and graduate students with F-1 status who have completed or who have been pursuing their degrees and are permitted by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work for, at most, 12 months or up to an additional 24 months with an extension on a student visa for practical training in their field of study. For additional information, refer to the Optional Practical Training page

STEM Optional Practical Training (OPT) is for undergraduate and graduate students with F-1 status who have received from Illinois Institute of Technology a STEM-designated degree and are eligible to apply for a 24-month extension of their Post-Completion OPT. Please click here for a full list of STEM-designated degrees. For additional information, refer to the STEM OPT webpage.

J-1 Academic Training

J-1 students are eligible for a type of employment authorization in the United States that is referred to as Academic Training. Such employment can only be in a field of study indicated on the student’s DS-2019.

A Student Must Have a Written Job Offer in Order to Apply

  • The limit is 18 months or less for the total amount of time that the student has studied full-time at Illinois Institute of Technology—For example, a student enrolled in a bachelor’s or master’s program for two or more years is entitled to 18 months of employment
  • A student enrolled for nine months is eligible for nine months of employment
  • Doctoral students are eligible for up to 36 months of academic training (post-doctoral research/teaching positions only)
  • Academic Training can be undertaken before or after the completion of one’s program of study

Part-Time or Full-Time Employment

Part-time employment is allowed while courses are in session; full-time employment is only allowed during a vacation period or after completing the required coursework while writing a thesis.

Academic Training After Completion Can be Full-Time

You must apply before program completion; however, the employment may begin up to 30 days after program completion. Your DS-2019 form must be extended and remain valid for the duration of academic training. Requests for an extension of DS-2019 due to Academic Training requires a written job offer, proof of insurance coverage, and proof of funding during the extension period.

Part-time employment is subtracted from the total amount of time allowed at the same rate as full-time employment.

Note: You are legally allowed to remain in the United States in J-1 status for 30 days after completion of Academic Training. This period is known as the “grace period.” You are not allowed to travel outside the U.S. or be employed during the grace period.

You Must Have a DS-2019 Before Employment Begins

You must have a new DS-2019 issued by OGS for Academic Training before employment begins. Starting employment before Academic Training authorization is given by OGS constitutes a violation of J-1 student immigration status and will result in the loss of your J-1 student immigration status.

Academic Training is Employer-Specific

If you wish to add new employers, you must submit new Academic Training applications for each employer. Employment with new employers may not begin until after a new DS-2019 is issued by OGS.

If Employment Ends Early

You must inform OGS if your employment will end earlier than indicated on the DS-2019 issued for Academic Training. The Academic Training period will be shortened on the DS-2019 and a new DS-2019 will be issued. If you are engaged in post-completion Academic Training, this will result in the shortening of the DS-2019 end date, possibly placing you in the 30-day grace period.

Application Instructions

An "Academic Training" request must be submitted from the J-1 student in the ISSS Portal along with the following requirements:

  1. A written job offer (the letter should specify the company name, position title, job requirements, dates of employment, and rate of pay, if it is a paid position)
  2. For post-completion Academic Training, proof of health insurance coverage during the period of Academic Training
  3. Academic Training Confirmation completed by the student's Academic Advisor. Please consult your Academic Advisor before submitting an "Academic Training" request as their electronic signature approval is required for OGS to complete the request.