Gain valuable workplace experience and get an inside view of an industry through an internship with a company or organization.
Applying for an Internship
- An internship is a one-semester employment commitment with one employer
- Internships can be for-credit or non-credit. For-credit internships can either be part time (20 hours or less) or full time (more than 20 hours) as long as students register for them before the add-drop deadline. Non-credit internships can only be part-time (20 hours or less)
- Please note: you have to be enrolled in full-time academic coursework by the add/drop date to maintain your F-1 status. You are required to register for at least one in-person course each semester if you would like to participate in for-credit internships and ensure that you meet the full time enrollment requirements
- All students who participate in an internship are required to submit these two forms at the end of each internship term:
- View the summer 2021 timeline for internships:
- View the fall 2021 timeline for internships:
Internship Information for International Students
- If you are on a F-1 visa, you are eligible to work under Curricular Practical Training (CPT) after you have completed two full terms of study.
- If you are a transfer student or have completed another degree from a United States institution other than Illinois Tech, you must complete at least nine credit hours at Illinois Tech before participating in CPT.
- Students are required to complete the CPT online training on Blackboard (under Organization) before applying for CPT.
- Review the Internship Authorization Packets for master's students or Ph.D. and undergraduate students:
- Visit the International Center website for additional information.