An apostille is much like an international notarization, with rules and regulations agreed upon in the Hague Convention of 1961. The apostille process serves as a way for documents to be recognized across international borders. If you are overseas and your home country requires your certified diploma or some other element of your academic record, our office can help you through this procedure.
It should be noted that in many cases when your home country requests a certified diploma, what they are actually requesting is a document certifying that you attended Illinois Institute of Technology and were awarded the degree that you claim to have been awarded.
To Request Apostille Documents
- Order a replacement diploma or a transcript. For efficiency, the Office of the Registrar recommends you ship your document to us to have it signed by a notary public you hire:
IIT Office of the Registrar
10 West 35th Street
IIT Tower, Suite 2C8-1
Chicago, IL 60616
- For replacement diplomas, please allow 2-4 weeks for processing.
- For transcripts, electronic PDF transcripts process within one hour if you do not have any holds that would prevent you from obtaining a transcript, and paper transcripts process daily and will be sent to the address you provide.
- Hire a notary public in the Chicago area. We suggest Express Apostille & Mobile Notary Services.
- Complete a FERPA Release of Educational Records Form to grant the notary public access to your academic records.
- Arrange a date and time for the notary public to meet with a member of the Office of the Registrar via email or phone.
Additional Assistance and Questions
You can reach the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com. Please remember to include your full name and provide identifying information (student number, date of birth, etc.) when contacting our office.