Advising Resources


Below you will find answers for advising-related questions that are frequently asked by new faculty members. Additional information can be found on the Center for Learning Innovation website and in the University Faculty Council's  Advising Best Practices sharedrive

Graduate advising is supported by the Office of Graduate Academic Affairs (GAA). Additional information about graduate advising can be found on the GAA website.

How do graduate students learn of their required advising meeting?

Graduate students are assigned a future advising hold that prevents registration when it becomes active. The hold is typically activated at nine earned or enrolled hours for master’s students and 18 earned or enrolled hours for doctoral students.

How do graduate students schedule the required academic advising meeting?

Each academic unit determines its protocol for the graduate academic advising sessions. This is published on the academic unit’s website, typically located under Student Resources (check with the academic unit administration for other web locations).

How does the adviser conduct a graduate advising session?

Advisers conduct graduate advising sessions in-person, by phone, over email, or via other online resources (e.g. Skype). Once the adviser establishes contact with the student, the Graduate DegreeWorks Worksheet (unofficial audit) is used to review program requirements and student progress.

Can I enter notes about my advising session? How do I track these notes?

Advising notes are entered in Graduate DegreeWorks by selecting the “Notes” tab. Graduate DegreeWorks can be accessed from the Graduate Academic Affairs channel on the “Teaching” tab in the myIIT portal. Notes are internal (not visible to the student) by default. The adviser may allow the student to view each note by selecting the check box for this purpose. Faculty and staff with access to view the student worksheet can view all notes by default.

How do I release a graduate advising hold at the conclusion of a graduate advising session?

To release a graduate advising hold, log in to the myIIT portal, which opens in the “Teaching” tab for faculty. Access the “Graduate Advising Hold Channel” from the upper-left corner of the portal page. Enter the student’s ID or search by their name. When the name appears, select “View Info” to see the student details, including enrolled programs. Select the program(s) for which the student was advised (typically one program per advising session). Select “Remove Hold(s)” to end the active or future hold.

What is an eForm? How is this used for graduate studies?

Students may initiate a request for Change of Adviser, Change of Program (which includes the declaration of a specialization, project, or thesis option), Transfer Credit, Course Substitution, or to Declare Co-Terminal Shared and Non-Shared Credit. EForms are accessible from the student’s Graduate DegreeWorks worksheet (unofficial audit) by selecting the “eForms” tab. When an eForm is submitted, the academic adviser, authorized department approver, and Graduate Academic Affairs staff approve or decline the request. Graduate Academic Affairs enters the fully approved change in Banner or Graduate DegreeWorks as required.

What is a co-terminal program? How does it work?

A co-terminal program is a dual admission to a bachelor's and master’s program with concurrent enrollment and degree conferral requirements. A co-terminal program can be a “paired” program—the two degrees are approved for sharing of co-terminal credit (up to a maximum of nine credits, some programs with fewer credits)—which is declared after co-terminal admission. An unpaired program requires the student to obtain an evaluation, from the graduate academic unit and the undergraduate academic unit, before admission to co-terminal studies when these are not pre-approved for shared credit use. More information about co-terminal degree programs can be found on the Graduate Academic Affairs website.

Why is there a requirement to review the use of shared credit for a co-terminal program?

The review, which is called a “declaration of intent” before admission and a “declaration of shared and non-shared credit” after admission, ensures a review and approval of shared courses, and possibly required pre-requisite courses, to guide the student’s future enrollment. The post-admission declaration is required to add the “level” and calculate the graduate grade-point average when grades are entered at the conclusion of each semester.

Where does a prospective co-terminal student apply for admission to co-terminal studies?How do they initiate the declaration of co-terminal intent for an unpaired program selection?

The Office of Graduate Admission provides access to and administers the application for co-terminal admission. Undergraduate students may access the application from the Undergraduate Academic Affairs channel on the “Academics” tab in the myIIT portal. Submission of the application will trigger the required reviews and, when required, the declaration of intent for an unpaired co-terminal program selection.

Which office(s) are responsible for administering co-terminal programs.

Co-terminal programs are a collective effort between the administration and the academic units. It includes university governance (policies and paired program approvals), graduate admission (co-terminal admission process), enrollment management (records, registration, and degree conferral), academic units (viability of shared program credits and the selection of required prerequisites, when applicable), Undergraduate Academic Affairs (pre-admission declaration of intent coordination, academic standing review, and undergraduate degree audit), and Graduate Academic Affairs (post-admission declaration of shared and non-shared credit use, academic standing review, and graduate degree audit).

Title IX is a federal civil rights law in the United States that was passed as part of the Education Amendments of 1972. It prohibits sex-based discrimination in any school or other education program that receives federal money. More information about Title IX requirements can be found on the Office of Title IX Compliance website.

Undergraduate advising is supported by the office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs (UGAA). More information about undergraduate academic policies and procedures can be found on the UGAA website.

How do students register for courses?

Students register for courses in the MyIIT portal, under the Academics tab. Step-by-step instructions found on the Registrar’s website.

Can students repeat a course for a change of grade?

Students can repeat a course in which they earned a D or E by submitting a Course Repeat for a Change of Grade request through UGAA. Students are allowed to repeat three courses at the 100/200-level, and three courses at the 300/400-level. Courses can only be repeated once for a change of grade, and must be repeated within one year.

Can students substitute required courses?

Students are required to complete all required courses that are listed in their curriculum from their catalog year. Any major course substitutions require approval from the department chair or associate chair.

Can a student withdraw from a course after the last date to withdraw?

If a student has not taken the final exam, the student can submit a petition for a Late Course Withdrawal to the Registrar’s Office if a medical/family/personal emergency occurred. Documentation is required.

Can currently-enrolled students earn credits from courses taken outside Illinois Tech?

To transfer credits from courses taken outside Illinois Tech, students must fill out a Transfer Credit Petition form, located on the Undergraduate Academic Affair’s (UGAA’s) website ( prior to registering at another school. UGAA will verify that the courses they plan to take will transfer and apply towards their curriculum.

What are DegreeWorks and TutorTrac?

DegreeWorks is an unofficial advising and degree auditing tool for students, staff, and faculty. TutorTrac is an early warning/early alert and advising system. Both are important in being proactive to help students.

How can students determine their eligibility to graduate?

Students can submit a request for an official academic audit from Undergraduate Academic Affairs (UGAA) after earning at least 60 hours (90 for ARCH majors) and completing one semester at IIT. An audit will list a student’s remaining courses for graduation. Students can submit petitions for audit requests, course repeats and more through Degree Works.

When should students apply for graduation?

Students must apply for graduation in the semester they plan to finish their degree requirements. The application deadline is posted on the Academic Calendar (  The Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs (UGAA) will send eligible students an email at the beginning of the semester as a reminder.

What should be done if a student is struggling academically or not attending class?

If a student is struggling academically in your course, please encourage them to attend your office hours or visit the Academic Resource Center to help them. If a student is not showing up to class, please contact Undergraduate Academic Affairs or their faculty adviser. Students who stop attending must officially withdraw in the student information system, which is Banner. Illinois Tech policy states that non-attendance does not constitute an official withdrawal.

How does a student request a leave of absence?

Leave of Absence (student plans to return to IIT) and Withdrawals (student does not plan to return to IIT) are requested through the MyIIT portal under the Academics tab. Students can request a Leave/Withdrawal up through the Withdrawal deadline each semester (posted in the Academic Calendar: A student who withdraws after the add/drop date still owes full tuition, but can petition for a tuition waiver due to extenuating or medical circumstances.

What is the academic probation policy?

Students are placed on academic probation if their cumulative or major grade-point average are below 2.00, or their term GPA is below 1.85. Students can also be placed on probation if they complete less than 12 hours. Students on probation for two consecutive semesters are eligible for dismissal.

What role do faculty advisers play in academic review?

We encourage faculty advisers to leave notes in DegreeWorks regarding their students, especially at the end of the semester for students on probation. We take adviser input into account when determining if a student should be dismissed.

Can a suspended student return to Illinois Tech?

If a student is suspended and applies for reinstatement in the future, they must submit a personal statement explaining why their grades suffered and a plan for future success. We will reach out to the student’s department for input before making a decision.