The International Center will only issue the following letters on letterhead:
Social Security Letters will be signed when brought in by students from the Illinois Institute of Technology on-campus hiring department. If the hiring department is not able to issue the Social Security Letter, please have them contact the student employment office.
- F-1/J-1 Enrollment Verification Letter
- This letter can only be issued to those maintaining status. For enrollment letters, you must request an enrollment certification through the MyIIT portal.
- Job Offer Letter (Hiring Departments Only)
Invitation letters issued by IIT are not required by the US Embassy or Consulate to issue a B-2 tourist visa. If you have family or friends that would like to visit you in the US, you may provide them with your own invitation letter. The letter should include your name, identify the person you are inviting, their relationship to you, and state the duration and purpose of the trip.
Please contact the US Embassy or Consulate where your family or friends will be applying for their B-2 tourist visa for the specific list of documentation that is required to apply.
Job Offer Letter
This form is to be used to produce the hiring department job offer letter for student employees for the purpose of applying for a Social Security Number. The department administrator submits this form if the Electronic Payroll Authorization form through the MyIIT portal failed to produce a letter or if the hiring department has submitted a paper-based Payroll Authorization form to the Student Employment Office.
Instructions for the Department
- Department administrator completes the form; print the PDF on hiring department letterhead
- The supervisor must sign the letter
- Give the letter to the student and instruct the student to submit the letter the International Center
- The International Center will write a Social Security Letter when the student brings the department hiring letter to the International Center; processing time for the IC letter is approximately two to three business days
- Student picks up both the department hiring letter and the Social Security Letter from the IC after two to three business days
- The student takes the hiring department job offer letter and Social Security Letter to the Social Security Administration to apply for a number