If you are unable to finish your program of study by the completion date that is listed on the I-20/DS-2019, you must apply for an extension of stay. This application must be made prior to the expiration date of the I-20/DS-2019.
- You have maintained status (full-time enrollment, lawful employment, valid passport, and I-20/DS-2019)
- You are enrolled in the next required term
- Your delay is caused by compelling academic or medical reasons such as changes of major or research topics, unexpected research problems, or documented illness
Note: Co-op, academic probation, suspension, or other delays are not acceptable reasons for program extension. In such cases, you must apply for reinstatement, click here.
Submit the following documents to the International Center:
- Completed academic adviser’s recommendation form for program extension
- New financial documentation for the requested period of extension such as a bank statement or letter on bank letterhead; see the Financial Document Guidelines.
These documents must be issued within the last six months and cover the amount required for the principal visa holder and any dependents. The International Center will review your request. If your request is approved, the International Center will prepare a new I-20/DS-2019 for program extension, this can take up to two weeks.