In addition to helping students identify campus and community resources in times of personal and/or family crises and medical emergencies, the Dean of Students Office provides direct structure and support for the following services:

  • Student Advocacy
  • Excused Absences
  • Medical Leaves and Withdrawals
  • Student Recognition
  • Faculty/Staff Resources for Student Concerns

For a list of holds, visit the Office of the Registrar website.

If your student has a Community Standards Alert, it is because your student has not completed the required annual Title IX Training. The alert that is placed on a student’s account does NOT impact a student’s opportunity to register for courses and/or order transcripts. However, it will not be removed until they have completed the course.

Students who have a substantial amount of equity in a course but are unable to complete the course requirements by the end of the term due to extenuating circumstances (i.e, illness or unforeseeable circumstances) and need additional time to complete the course may be able to request an incomplete (i) grade. 

The incomplete (I) grade is a temporary grade that must be requested in writing by the student to the instructor of record using the Incomplete Grade Request Form. The form must be submitted prior to the week of final examinations. Final exam dates can be found on the academic calendar.

Courses dropped before the add/drop date are not listed on a student’s transcript. Courses dropped after the add/drop date will result in a “W” (withdrawal) grade on the student’s transcript. The add/drop date for each semester can be found on the academic calendar.

More information regarding withdrawals can be found on the Office of the Registrar website.

Withdrawals from courses after the published deadline due to an extraordinary circumstance beyond a student’s control, such as medical or personal emergencies, are considered a late withdrawal.

In the rare event that a student has experienced circumstances beyond their control that might permit an exception to the university policy on course withdrawals, the student may submit the Late Withdrawal Appeal form to the Office of the Registrar. Any documentation supporting the appeal should be included.

More information regarding the late withdrawal policy can be found on the Withdrawal from a Course webpage.

Degree-seeking students who intend to leave the university for one semester or more must complete the online leave of absence form in the myIIT portal ( Graduate students requesting a leave of absence may do so through the Office of Graduate Academic Affairs. 

Undergraduate degree-seeking students who need to withdraw from the university with the intention of returning and completing their degree program may apply for a leave of absence.

More information regarding an undergraduate leave of absence can be found online the university website.