Graduate Assistants, Research Assistants, and Teaching Assistants

GAs, RAs, and TAs who work in exchange for either reduced housing and food and/or tuition credit are not considered to be in an employment relationship with the University. They are often paid via stipend versus an hourly wage and are not eligible for overtime compensation. If you are interested in an GA, RA, or TA position, please contact your department coordinator. Department coordinators send accepted students an offer letter that outlines specific hiring information.

Most GAs, RAs, and TAs:

  • do not require Payroll Authorizations
  • are paid via stipend vs. hourly
  • do not complete timesheets
  • do not have a minimum hourly wage
  • are subject to taxation

See more information about GAs, RAs, and TAs below from the U.S. Department of Labor's Overtime Final Rule and Higher Education:

"As a general matter, most students who work for their college or university are hourly non-exempt workers and do not work more than 40 hours per week. The following, however, are examples of students who often receive a salary or other non-hourly compensation. Graduate Teaching Assistants: Graduate teaching assistants whose primary duty is teaching are exempt. Because they qualify for the teacher exemption, they are not subject to the salary basis and salary level tests. Research Assistants: Generally, an educational relationship exists when a graduate or undergraduate student performs research under a faculty member’s supervision while obtaining a degree. Under these circumstances, the Department would not assert that an employment relationship exists with either the school or any grantor funding the student’s research. This is true even though the student may receive a stipend for performing the research. Student Residential Assistants: Students enrolled in bona fide educational programs who are residential assistants and receive reduced housing and food charges or tuition credits are not generally considered employees under the FLSA. They therefore are not entitled to minimum wages and overtime under the FLSA."