Illinois Institute of Technology participates in CTA's UPass program. The CTA U-Pass offers unlimited rides for students on any CTA bus or train during the Fall and Spring semesters. Illinois Tech does not participate in the UPass program during winter break or the summer terms. When school is not in session or you do not qualify as a full-time student you will be able to add money to your card and use it as a transit card. More information on your Ventra UPass can be found here.
Once you receive your Ventra UPass, please hold on to it. You will keep the same Ventra Upass card until it expires. Continuing Students who have UPasses that are expiring this fall and will be registered full-time in the spring will receive a new replacement UPass at no charge. More information about expiring cards can be found below.
Only students who are registered for full-time academic hours (Grad students - 9 billable academic hours, Undergrad students -12 billable academic hours) are eligible to participate in the U-Pass program. The U-Pass fee of $155.00 is a mandatory fee for all full-time students and can only be waived by students with a valid military UPass, students with a valid paratransit card, or distance online learning students who reside 50 miles or more from Mies campus. All requests to waive the UPass fee must be submitted by email each semester to email@example.com by the end of the 4th week of classes. Requests submitted after the 4th week will not be considered.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact The Access Card and Parking Services Office ( firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you drop below full time during the semester, you must notify The Access Card and Parking Services Office (email@example.com) immediately. Failure to do so may result in you not being allowed to activate your next semester's UPass until after the add/drop date. A second violation will result in permanent cancellation of your Ventra card. Once your Ventra card is cancelled it will cost you $50 to obtain a new one.
If you are transferring from another institution and already have a Ventra Upass card, you can have it transferred to Illinois Tech. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, student ID number, name of the college you are transferring from, and the 16 digit number on the back of your card.
If you have misplaced your UPass, you can order a replacement card online.
Notes about U-Pass
- Only you can use your U-Pass. You cannot share or sell your U-pass. If this rule is violated and your UPass is confiscated your UPass privileges will be canceled by CTA for a full year (you will still have to pay the UPass fee).
- You cannot use your U-Pass on Metra or Pace.
- If you drop below full time during the semester, you must notify ACAPS (email@example.com) immediately. Failure to do so may result in you not being allowed to activate your next semester's UPass until after the add/drop date. A second violation will result in the permanent cancellation of your Ventra card. Once your Ventra card is canceled it will cost you $50 to obtain a new one.
SPRING 2021 UPASSES ARE VALID JANUARY 16, 2021 THROUGH MAY 16, 2021
Spring 2021 Dates
Because of the evolving situation surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, for the spring 2021 semester only, full-time students who wish to purchase a UPass must request one. You can do so by completing the Spring 2021 UPass Opt-In Form by Monday, January 4, 2021. Please note that this action is only required if you would like to have a UPass for the spring 2021 semester. If you are not interested in obtaining a UPass, you do not need to complete the form and will not be charged for a UPass. Late requests to activate or deactivate your UPass will not be processed after February 9, 2021.
Mies Campus Returning Students
- Upasses are scheduled to activate on Saturday, January 16th, if you opted in by January 4, 2021. If you are registered full time, do not have a negative balance on your Ventra account, and your UPass is not activated; please email the ACAPS Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once we receive your request your UPass will activate within one business day.
- Make sure you do not have an outstanding balance on your Ventra account. If you do, your UPass will not activate until the balance is cleared. We recommend that you check your balance and UPass status here before trying to use it for the first time this semester.
- For questions about your balance on your Ventra account contact Ventra at 877-669-8368.
Students New To Illinois Tech This Semester
- You must be registered as a full-time student to receive a UPass.
- New students must submit their photo online in order to receive a UPass.
- If you are registered as a full-time student by January 4th, have submitted your HawkCard ID photo (before SOAR), and have completed the opt-in form by January 4th your UPass will be available for pick-up by January 16, 2021.
- If you registered and became full-time after January 4th, UPass pickup will be delayed.
- If you completed the opt-in form after January 4th, UPass pickup will be delayed.
- You must show your Illinois Tech ID to order or pick up your UPass.
- New students living on campus, will receive their UPass from their RA.
- New commuter students will receive a notification email from the Access, Card, and Parking Services office with UPass pickup instructions.
- Students whose UPasses are not available by January 16th may request to receive a 7-day Ventra pass. Requests should be emailed to email@example.com.