General | Forms | Counseling | Medical | Immunizations | Insurance | I've Graduated



SHWC Brochure (312.68 KB)





 I’ve graduated, what happens next?


Hours of Operation

Monday: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Tuesday: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Thursday: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed

Contact Information

The Student Health and Wellness Center is located on Mies Campus.

Michael Paul Galvin Tower, 3rd Floor
10 West 35th Street
Chicago, IL 60616

Phone: 312.567.7550
Fax: 312.567.5702

How Much Does It Cost to Be Seen at the SHWC?

Both our counseling and medical services are provided free of charge. There are several exceptions.

Please note: While services you receive may generally be free, missing an appointment without canceling it in advance may result in a “no-show” fee that you will be responsible for paying.


If you do not have the Illinois Tech Student Health Insurance Plan, immunizations must be paid out of pocket. You may use the receipt to file a claim for reimbursement with your insurance carrier. A breakdown of charges can be found by clicking our immunizations tab.

Prescription Medicine

SWHC does not dispense prescription medicine.

Lab Work

Any blood draws we send for laboratory testing will be billed by Quest Diagnostics to your insurance carrier.

I Would Like an Appointment Today. What Should I Do?

Counseling Appointments

If a student feels that they are in need of immediate attention and wants to speak to a SHWC counselor, there is “triage” time every day where a counselor is available to briefly assess a student and provide them with relevant or appropriate resources. These check-in appointments are NOT meant to constitute therapy appointments and should not be used as such. Some examples of experiences requiring immediate attention include, but are not limited to, thoughts of self-harm or suicide, thoughts of harming others, feeling unsafe, or sexual assault.

If you would like to be seen for counseling but are not currently experiencing a crisis, you may call 312.567.7550.

Health Appointments

You may call the Student Health and Wellness Center at 312.567.7550 during business hours to speak with a staff member who will assess your concern, schedule an appointment at the center, or direct you to community resources where you can seek immediate care. If you have insurance of your own, please bring your insurance card with you at the time of your appointment.

If you need clinical attention after our office hours, please review your options here.

Can I Be Seen at the SHWC Even if I Don’t Have the Student Health Insurance Plan?

Yes, all Illinois Tech students registered for at least one credit hour of class may be seen at the SHWC. If you are on a co-op, you may also be seen.

How Do I Obtain a Copy of My Medical/counseling Documents?

You will need to complete a release form to obtain your medical or counseling documents. Please click here for more information.

Can I Bring a Non-Illinois Tech Student to Receive Treatment at the SHWC?

No. You are only eligible to be seen at the SHWC if you are registered for one credit hour of class or more.

What Services Can I Receive at the SHWC?

Our services include both physical and mental health care needs for Illinois Tech and VanderCook students.

Our physical health services include treating infections and injuries, monitoring chronic diseases such as diabetes and high blood pressure, gynecological exams, immunizations, allergy injections, prescribing medications, lab work, providing health maintenance care for students and routine cholesterol/blood-glucose checks. Office visits are free of charge; however, any lab work sent to another facility will be billed to the student's insurance.

Our mental health services include evaluation, time-limited psychotherapy, group therapy referrals, and medication management. We assist students with issues such as stress management, depression, anxiety, eating disorders, cultural adjustment, self-esteem, relationship concerns, family issues, anger management, addictions, and more.

SHWC staff are also committed to providing engaging and informative outreach programming on campus. Campus partners or student groups are welcome to contact our office with a request to collaborate on a program.

How Do I Request an Outreach?

The SHWC staff can give a variety of presentations on topics related to health and wellness. To request an outreach, please reach out to us at

How Often Can I Be Seen at the SHWC?

You may be seen at the SHWC as many times as you like while you are registered for class.

Are Services Confidential?

What you disclose in your intake, therapy and psychiatry sessions, and health appointments is rigorously kept confidential within the SHWC. With few and rare exceptions (see question below), this assurance is guaranteed and is the cornerstone of trust between you and your therapist. Without your verbal and written consent we cannot communicate to professors, deans, parents, roommates, etc. any information about your contact within the SHWC.

What Are the Limits to Confidentiality?

At times you may give permission to your therapist to disclose confidential information so that, for example, your therapist can consult with your physician. Such permission would be given in writing, and you would precisely specify the conditions of the disclosure. You may also withdraw that permission at any time for any reason.

The SHWC may need to disclose confidential information without your consent or authorization in specific circumstances, including the following:

  • If it appears that you are in immediate danger of hurting yourself or another person, your therapist may choose to alert others to protect you or others from harm. [Please note this does not mean that every time suicide is discussed in your sessions, that your therapist will take this action.]
  • Your therapist has the duty to report current abuse and neglect of children as well as adults deemed incompetent.
  • Your treatment records are subpoenaed by a court of law through a court order.
  • Medical providers are mandated to report certain health conditions that may affect public health and safety.

Does the SHWC Provide Letters of Support?

If you find yourself struggling academically, physically, or emotionally throughout the semester, we encourage you to seek health and counseling services. If you need accommodations (extension on a test, excused assignments, etc.), we will help you work with the Center for Disability Resources and your professors to provide appropriate accommodations. The SHWC does not provide letters of support directly to students or professors.

Can the SHWC Provide Me With a Class Note?

The SHWC is not a note-writing facility. If you miss class due to an urgent or emergent issue, the providers within the SHWC can email your professors to confirm that you were seen at the SHWC during your scheduled class time. The SHWC cannot affirm or attest that the presenting issue prohibited the student from missing any previous class or any major grading event.

How Do I Keep Up With Events or Important Dates You’ve Planned?

You can keep up with SHWC by following us on Twitter and Instagram.


*All of these forms are electronic and can only be submitted online.


Are People Who Need Therapy “crazy”?

No! The SHWC staff recognizes that there is still a lot of work to be done regarding challenging stigma and misguided perceptions that people who seek therapy are “crazy.” There are many reasons someone might seek therapy. People use mental health services to receive support for everything from academic concerns to more severe psychological distress. There is no concern too small for which to seek support. We believe that taking steps to improve your situation and/or feel better is a sign of strength and courage, not weakness.

How Do I Make an Appointment With a Therapist?

You may make your appointment online by clicking here. You can also call the front desk staff at 312.567.7550 or visit in person to schedule an initial appointment.

What will Happen During My Initial Session?

When you arrive you will complete a brief assessment and questionnaire. Then you will meet with one of our clinicians for 30-45 minutes for a structured discussion of your current concerns and needs.  If you wish to start therapy or require other mental health services, clinicians will make either in-house or off-campus referrals.

What Is Therapy Like?

During your first therapy session, you and your therapist will discuss goals for your work together. Sessions last around 50 minutes and will likely occur weekly. Although therapeutic styles vary from clinician to clinician, our staff is committed to your well-being and your academic success.  

How Long Does Therapy Last?

Duration of treatment varies based on your presenting concerns. Psychological concerns are often complex, and your counselor will talk with you about a plan for how to address your concerns including some ideas of how long that may initially take. Many students find relief after 5-10 sessions, while others may wish to meet longer. The SHWC does not have a session limit.

Does the SHWC Prescribe Medication?

We have a psychiatrist on campus for one afternoon a week, who offers consultation for students interested in psychotropic medications, such as antidepressants or mood stabilizers. A student must first meet with a member of the counseling team for an initial assessment. If at the time of initial assessment the student and/or counselor believes a referral to the psychiatrist is appropriate, the counselor will assist in making that referral. Students who meet with our psychiatrist must complete a separate assessment, and if they are prescribed medications, attend ongoing medication management sessions. The SHWC requires that students seeing its psychiatrist also participate in ongoing psychotherapy. 

If you feel that you need stimulant medication because of an attention deficit disorder, we require that you complete a thorough and complete assessment within the community. Assessments more than two years old will not be accepted. Not all students will be eligible for medication management of stimulant medication. All cases are reviewed individually, and all students must engage in ongoing psychotherapy.  

What if I Would Prefer to Be Seen Outside of Illinois Tech?

We recognize that there are a number of reasons student might prefer or need to be seen off campus. We have an extensive database of referrals for psychologists, psychiatrists, and other mental health professionals in the community.  

Do You Provide Assessments?

Formal psychological assessment, such as evaluation for ADHD, learning disabilities, or cognitive impairments is NOT offered at the SHWC. We can provide students with referrals to professionals in the area who provides such assessments.

Does the SHWC Offer Couples Counseling?  

The SHWC offers couples counseling to all Illinois Tech and VanderCook students. Both parties must be registered for one credit hour in order to be seen together in the SHWC.


What Is a Nurse Practitioner, and What Do They Do?

A nurse practitioner (NP) is a registered nurse with additional training at the master's level. Every certified NP must have an advanced master's degree and have passed the certifying boards. Nurse practitioners work collaboratively with physicians and have a similar scope of practice. Specifically, NPs diagnose, treat, and manage acute and chronic medical conditions, write prescriptions (when needed), order and interpret necessary laboratory and diagnostic tests, and help to promote one's general health and well-being.

Is There Anything I Should Do to Prepare for My Visit?

Yes, it is best to come prepared and organized for your visit when seeing a provider. Though specific preparation depends on the type of visit, here are some examples:

Any Visit—Bring the actual medication or a list of all medications that you take on a regular basis, including prescription, non-prescription, and natural medicines. Please know the name and dose of each medication as well as how often you take it. It may also be helpful to write down specific questions for the physician or nurse practitioner as well as symptoms experienced related to the illness. You should wear appropriate attire that will allow the provider access to your arms or any area of the body you would like examined.

Blood Work—If you are asked to return for blood work, you may need to fast. In order to be fasting, it is recommended that you have nothing to eat or drink for eight hours prior to the blood test. It is acceptable, however, to have water or black coffee (without milk or sugar) prior. Because many blood tests require an individual to be fasting, the blood work is often done in the morning. If you wonder if a blood test should be fasting, please ask one of our medical personnel. Please note that when testing for sexually transmitted infections, fasting is NOT necessary.  

Female Yearly Gynecological Exam—So as to obtain the most accurate results, it is recommended to abstain from sexual contact for 24 hours prior to the exam.

I Don't Know if I Should See a Doctor and the SHWC Is Closed.

If you are experiencing a health issue and are trying to determine what your next steps should be, call the 24-Hour Aetna Nurse Advice Line at 1.800.556.1555


What Are the Immunization Requirements?

Students are required to provide proof of:

Any combination of three or more doses of diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis containing vaccine.  One dose must be Tdap vaccine. The last dose of vaccine (DTP, DTaP, DT, Td, or Tdap) must have been received within 10 years prior to the term of current enrollment.

Two doses of MMR (measles-mumps-rubella combined) after the first birthday

One meningococcal ACYW vaccine (if you are between the ages of 16-22)

International Students Only: One QuantiFERON or T-SPOT—(Illinois Tech requirement)—must be within 2-4 weeks of arrival

What if I Don’t Want to Receive the Required Vaccines?

Per Illinois State Law, university students who are enrolled at least half-time are to be immunized against certain communicable diseases. You are required to submit proof of immunization to the SHWC.

If you have religious and/or medical exemptions, please submit the appropriate exemption form along with proper documentation either in person, by fax, or by email. Remember to include your student ID# on every attached document.

What Are the Side Effects of the Required Vaccines?

All required vaccines and relative information can be found here.

How Can I Submit My Immunization Records?

Illinois Tech utilizes Med+Proctor, an electronic medical clearance platform, as its way to clear all students medically for enrollment. Med+Proctor is HIPAA- and FERPA-compliant, and your confidential medical information will remain secure. We feel the process will streamline your clearance process and allow you to focus on other important matters as you prepare for a successful tenure at Illinois Tech. Additionally, you have the option to purchase a membership that will provide lifetime access to your immunization data that can be shared with others, as you designate. You must have a valid Illinois Tech email address before registering on Med+Proctor.

When Is the Deadline to Submit Immunization Records?

All records are due by the first week of class of your semester of entry.

What Happens if I Do Not Turn in My Immunization Records?

A registration hold will go on your account if you do not turn in all of the required immunization records. Holds are placed on the day after withdrawal. 

If I Am Missing Any of the Required Vaccines, May I Receive Them at the Wellness Center?

Yes, we administer vaccines at the SHWC by appointment. Please call 312-567-7550 to schedule an appointment. If you have the Aetna Student Health Insurance, there is no cost for the vaccines; they are 100% covered.


How Much Will I Be Charged for the Student Health Insurance Plan?

Annual $2,286 (8/10/23–8/9/24)

Spring $1,344 (1/6/24–8/9/24)

Summer $496 (5/20/24–8/09/24)

Fall only* $942 (8/10/23–1/5/24)

*Fall-only coverage is granted to those students graduating in the fall, leaving the university, or who have obtained comparable coverage for the spring semester.

Why Do I Have a Charge on My Account for Student Health Insurance?

All students registered for one academic credit hour or more are billed for the Student Health Insurance Plan unless an electronic waiver has been completed. You can access the waiver online at

How Do I Enroll in the Student Insurance Plan?

Enrollment is automatic once you’ve registered for one academic credit hour of class. If you previously opted out of the student health insurance plan, please email with your enrollment request.

How Do I Obtain Additional Details About My Coverage?

Details about your benefits can be found by clicking on the insurance tab or going online to

When Will I Receive My Insurance Card?

Insurance cards and documents are only mailed upon request. You may request this information online at or by calling 800.841.3140. You may print or view your insurance details by going online to and signing in to their members-only website.

How Do I Get a Certificate of Coverage?

A certificate of coverage indicating when your student health insurance coverage began and ended can be obtained by contacting Aetna Student Health at 800.841.3140.

What Should I Do if I Don’t Want the Student Health Insurance Coverage?

If you would like to waive SHIP, you need to complete the electronic waiver online. The deadline to complete this form is September 1 and January 12 (spring).

*All forms of outside health insurance coverage aren’t always accepted.

I Missed the Waiver Deadline. What Can I Do?

The final date to submit the waiver is September 1, the deadline will not be extended.

I Received a Bill From Someone Outside of Illinois Tech and I Need Help.

The SHWC can help you with bills you receive. Send an email to with your student ID number and date of birth as well as a copy of your bill.

I’ve Graduated. What Happens Next?

Can I Still Receive Services at the SHWC?

Services are limited to those students registered for one credit hour of class or more. Because you are no longer registered, you are not eligible to receive services at the SHWC. If you are receiving services at the SHWC, we will help transition you to the community if needed. Please inform your provider 2-4 weeks prior to graduation so that there is ample time to find you a new provider in the community.

The SHWC can assist you with finding a provider in the community.

Will My Insurance End Once I've Graduated?

No, your benefits will not end until August 9, 2024. If you requested only one term of coverage and completed the “fall only” form, your benefits will end on January 5, 2025.

I No Longer Would Like to Be Enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan for the Fall Semester.

You are only eligible to terminate coverage after the fall semester. You will need to complete the “fall only” form. Once your information has been verified (usually 3-5 days), the insurance cost will be reduced by $1,344. This form must be completed by December 12, 2024.