Congratulations again on your acceptance to Illinois Tech! We know you’re eager to start your program, but before you can register for courses, you’ll need to do the following:
- Submit your deposit—You must confirm your enrollment by submitting a $300 deposit before you receive your academic adviser assignment. The deadline to deposit for Fall 2023 is August 1, 2023.
- Submit course credits—Send all final transcripts and/or test scores to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive transfer credit. If you have not completed the transfer equivalency for MATH 151 or COM 101, you will need to take a placement assessment.
If you are an architecture major, you must submit a transfer student portfolio to determine the appropriate studio placement for you at Illinois Tech. More information.
You can view any credits that have been submitted and accepted to Illinois Tech in your AppTracker. Please note that Illinois Tech will accept transfer credit for students who receive a passing grade for courses graded on a pass/fail system due to the impact of the coronavirus.
- Email your academic adviser to register for classes—You’ll receive your adviser’s contact information one to two days after you submit your deposit. Your adviser will give you a registration PIN, which will give you access to course registration.
- Sign up for SOAR— SOAR: New Student Orientation is a mandatory program designed to introduce you to important offices and processes at Illinois Tech.
- Complete your financial aid checklist, if applicable.
- Submit your immunization forms and health insurance waiver.
- Living on campus? Do you want to purchase a meal plan? Learn more about housing and food options for transfer students.
If you are an international transfer student, you may need to submit additional documents to complete the admission process to Illinois Tech.
Please submit your Transfer Release Form (F-1 undergraduates and J-1 visiting/exchange) completed by the international office at your previous school. You will also need to submit your course descriptions to email@example.com in order for us to determine your transfer credits. Learn more about the next steps for transferring to Illinois Tech.
If you are transferring from a university outside of the United States, please refer to the International Student Checklist for additional information on enrolling at Illinois Tech.
Need help navigating campus? The Office of Campus Life is here to help you during your time at the Illinois Institute of Technology. In collaboration with Financial Aid, Galvin Library, Academic Affairs, and the Office of Campus Life we have found these resources to help commuter students succeed at Illinois Tech. Use the resources below to find out more about dining, parking, transportation, the Commuter Lounge and ways to get connected to other commuter students.
Once you submit your enrollment deposit and confirm your attendance at Illinois Tech, you will be assigned an academic adviser. Your academic adviser will be a faculty member in your major who is responsible for helping you register for courses each semester. You should receive your adviser assignment beginning in November (for spring courses) and April (for fall courses) via email a few weeks after you submit your deposit.
Once you receive your adviser assignment, you must complete the following steps before you can register for classes:
- Complete academic placement assessments (if necessary).
- Check out the Illinois Tech Undergraduate Bulletin and find your particular degree program.
- Once you have completed any necessary placement assessment(s) and reviewed your degree program, you may contact your advisor via email to begin your advising conversation. Your advisor will provide you with an alternate pin, which allows you to register.
- Officially register for your courses using Banner Student Self Service.
- Throughout your time at Illinois Tech, your advisor will be your go-to person for all your questions about which classes to take and how to best align your course schedule in order to make sure you’re on track to graduate on time. Academic advisors can also assist with questions about choosing a specialization, adding a minor, or applying for one of Illinois Tech’s special degree programs (these, for example, allow you to complete a B.S. and master’s degree in as few as five years).
Please note: Your transfer credits must be approved by the university before you can register for courses that require certain prerequisites. To ensure that your transfer credits are evaluated in time, you must submit all official transcripts from previously attended institutions before the November 15 (spring) or August 1 (fall) application deadline. Transcripts received after application deadlines may not be evaluated for credit.
Finding Your College's Transfer Credit Guide
Our goal is to help you transfer without loss of credit and on an efficient timeline!
Illinois Tech has published transfer credit guides for many Illinois community colleges. Simply search for your school, then scroll down to select your intended transfer major. If you do see your school, we recommend that you view the guides available for the City Colleges of Chicago as an example of the kinds of courses that typically transfer in for your intended major.
Please Note: We do not require the completion of an associate’s degree, nor do we require the completion of all the courses listed on the credit guide before transfer. These guides exist to help students avoid taking courses that are not needed for their major. If you take classes that are not required for your major, these courses may fit into a free elective if these are available for your program, or they may not transfer in at all. So please be sure you connect with us, or your current community college transfer advisor, before you enroll in courses that do not appear on the transfer guide, since it is likely that these courses are not needed for your intended major.
We're a proud member of Transferology. This is a nationwide online transfer planning resource students can use to identify equivalent courses at other schools. Simply create a free account, then start adding your courses and search for Illinois Institute of Technology to discover possible equivalencies you may still be able to take at your current school. Please visit their website to review course equivalencies.
Your current school's Transfer Advisor also has access to a Transferology Lab Account, where he or she can look up multiple equivalencies at once. Try Transferology yourself, or ask your school's advisor for assistance before accidentally taking the wrong courses for your transfer major.
However, if you are coming from a Chicago-area community college, we recommend that you utilize our published transfer guides instead. Please also feel free to ask an Illinois Tech Transfer Counselor if you need assistance, as we are happy to be a resource for you!
Transfer Credit Evaluation
Transfer credit evaluation takes place after you are admitted and confirm your enrollment to Illinois Tech. To ensure that your transfer credits are evaluated in time, you must submit all official transcripts from previously attended institutions before the November 15 (spring) or August 1 (fall) application deadline. Transcripts received after application deadlines may not be evaluated for credit.
Your transfer credits must be approved by the university before you can register for courses that require certain prerequisites.