Once you submit your enrollment deposit and confirm your attendance at Illinois Tech, you will be assigned an academic adviser. Your academic adviser will be a faculty member in your major who is responsible for helping you register for courses each semester. You can also meet with your peer mentor for general questions about studying at Illinois Tech.
Advising and Registration Office Hours - May 16-20
Meet with your academic advisor during our open office hours taking place May 16-20! All majors are welcome to attend this 45-min virtual advising presentation to learn about your major curriculum and how to register for courses. We will also have time reserved for 1-on-1 sessions at the end of each hour.
Not available to meet on your major date? Be sure to check your email to connect with your assigned adviser during the summer!
Monday, May 16
|Computer Science, Humanities/Digital Humanities/ Global Studies, MMAE|
|Tuesday, May 17||Architecture, Applied Math and Statistics, Business Administration, Computer and Cybersecurity Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics/Astrophysics|
|Wednesday, May 18||Architecture, Biology (includes bioinformatics, biochem, undecided science, pre-med and pre-pharmacy), Bio Psych, Chemistry (includes environmental, forensics, medicinal), Civil and Architectural Engineering, Psychology|
|Thursday, May 19||
Architecture, Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Undecided Armour, Undecided Humanities
|Friday, May 20||Information Technology Management, Industrial Technology Management|
How to Prepare for Academic Advising and Course Registration
Before you can register for courses, you must meet with your academic adviser. The general process for advising and registration of new students is as follows:
- Learn how to navigate your myIIT Portal to view available courses by reviewing this Course Registration PDF.
- Review your degree requirements by finding your particular degree program in the Undergraduate Bulletin. Use this as a reference when picking out your courses.
- Create a draft schedule of your first semester in the Plan Ahead section of your Registration Dashboard.
- Contact your adviser via email or phone to schedule your advising appointment. Your adviser will review your draft schedule and provide you with a PIN, which allows you to register. Please note that many academic faculty may be out of the office during the summer; if your adviser is unavailable, you may also reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an advising appointment.
- Officially register for your courses using Banner Student Self Service.
Please note you cannot register for MATH 151 or COM 101/COM 111 until the appropriate academic placement assessments are completed.
Throughout your time at Illinois Tech, your adviser will be your go-to person for all your questions about which classes to take and how to best align your course schedule in order to make sure you’re on track to graduate on time. Academic advisers can also assist with questions about choosing a specialization, adding a minor, or applying for one of Illinois Tech’s special degree programs (these, for example, allow you to complete a B.S. and master’s degree in as few as five years).