Once you submit your enrollment deposit and confirm your attendance at Illinois Tech, you will be assigned an academic adviser. Your academic adviser will be a faculty member in your major who is responsible for helping you register for courses each semester. You can also meet with your peer mentor for general questions about studying at Illinois Tech.
Virtual academic advising will be available in mid-May for all new, incoming students. This will be an opportunity for you to meet your academic advising team and begin registering for courses. Please note that you will be unable to register for some of your courses until you complete your Math and Writing placement exams.
Your Academic Adviser's contact information will be emailed to you after virtual advising sessions are completed. You will also have the opportunity to meet with an academic adviser during summer SOAR and register for courses at that time. We look forward to connecting with you!
How to Prepare for Academic Advising and Course Registration
Before you can register for courses, you must meet with your academic adviser. The general process for advising and registration of new students is as follows:
- Learn how to navigate your myIIT Portal to view available courses by reviewing this Course Registration PDF.
- Review your degree requirements by finding your particular degree program in the Undergraduate Bulletin. Use this as a reference when picking out your courses.
- Create a draft schedule of your first semester in the Plan Ahead section of your Registration Dashboard.
- Contact your adviser via email or phone to schedule your advising appointment. Your adviser will review your draft schedule and provide you with a PIN, which allows you to register. Please note that many academic faculty may be out of the office during the summer; if your adviser is unavailable, you may also reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an advising appointment.
- Officially register for your courses using Banner Student Self Service.
Please note you cannot register for MATH 151 or COM 101/COM 111 until the appropriate academic placement assessments are completed.
Throughout your time at Illinois Tech, your adviser will be your go-to person for all your questions about which classes to take and how to best align your course schedule in order to make sure you’re on track to graduate on time. Academic advisers can also assist with questions about choosing a specialization, adding a minor, or applying for one of Illinois Tech’s special degree programs (these, for example, allow you to complete a B.S. and master’s degree in as few as five years).