A permit refers to an instructor or department electronic permit. E-permits are placed in the system by an instructor or department permit approver—the list of approvers can found on this website—in order to allow for registration into courses with restricted guidelines. A permit will override some registration add errors. Learn more on the Registration Errors and Descriptions page.

You can view your e-permits in the myIIT portal—detailed instructions can be found in the PDF below.

Note: Being provided a permit does not automatically register you for the course.

If you are having issues with your myIIT portal account such as a disabled account or password problems, please contact the Office of Technology Services Support Desk at 312.567.3375 or supportdesk@iit.edu.

If you are registered for a variable credit-hour course such as an independent study, you can change the number of credit hours for which you are registered via your Registration Dashboard—instructions can also be found on page 12 of the PDF below.

  1. In the myIIT portal, select the Welcome tab.
  2. Click on the Registration Dashboard icon in the "Registration and Financial Aid Dashboards" box/channel.
  3. Click on the Register for Classes link.
  4. Select the Schedule and Options tab.

Please adjust the credit hours by the last day to add/drop—see the Academic Calendar.

If you wish to register for more than your allowed credit-hours load, you must receive the appropriate approval.

  • Undergraduate students must contact their academic adviser to initiate the approval process for an increase in hours
  • Graduate students (excluding Stuart School of Business and Law) must complete the Graduate Student Petition (Form G701) and submit it to the Office of Graduate Academic Affairs for approval
  • Stuart School master graduate students must contact Stuart Academic Advising at advising@stuart.iit.edu for approval
  • Stuart School Ph.D. students must contact the director of the Ph.D. program for approval
  • Law students must contact the Conviser Law Center Registrar's Office at regq@kentlaw.iit.edu for approval

Learn more on the Credit Hour Limits page.

For international students, immigration regulations specify that no more than one course per term may be counted toward the full course of study requirement if the course is taken online. Additionally, your last and only course cannot be online. Students are allowed to take additional internet courses over and above their full-time enrollment, e.g. students on full-time co-op.