Career Services is glad you are here! Take advantage of our services and resources to develop professionally and connect to internships, co-ops and post-graduation job opportunities. We want to be partners on your career journey - to provide you support, help you map out your career plan, and give you the tools you need to start a great career!
Career Services Mission Statement
Illinois Tech Career Services offers students the tools they need to succeed in today’s global workforce. Our excellent, comprehensive career-development services foster student engagement by providing meaningful coaching and programming for all students and alumni. Our strong partnerships with employers, alumni, faculty, and other university stakeholders ensure the career readiness of our students.
Our vision is to be the hub for career education, career development, and professional experience at Illinois Tech.
*Mission is reviewed and revised (if necessary) on a yearly basis
Save The Dates For Our Fall 2023 All-Campus Career Fairs!
Companies will be registering over the summer, so stay tuned!
Thursday, September 14th: Virtual Career Fair for all majors
Wednesday, September 27th: On-Campus Career Fair for Business, Computer Science, Information Technology, Public Administration and Social Service opportunities
Thursday, September 28th: On-Campus Career Fair for Architecture, Engineering, Industrial Technology, and Life Sciences opportunities
Drop-Ins and Appointments
Students will have the choice of in-person, virtual appointments or drop-in sessions. Students interested in a virtual or in-person appointment should schedule through Handshake. Your virtual appointment will be held through Handshake's video conferencing tool, Google Meet, or Zoom.
In-person appointments will be held on campus in the MTCC, Career Services offices. Please check in with the Career Services desk just outside The Commons when you arrive for your appointment.
Drop-in services will also be offered in-person at the MTCC 106 (outside The Commons) and will be available virtually through Blackboard Monday–
To stay informed about events, please check Handshake and RSVP to events of interest. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org at any time.
**Are you an alum trying to access Handshake? Please follow the steps below to access the system if you already had an account created as a student:
- Visit iit.joinhandshake.com
- Click 'sign in with your email address' below the 'Illinois Institute of Technology Sign On' button
- Reset your password for your @hawk.iit.edu account
- Log-in using the new password to access your Handshake account!
Take the First Steps
- During your first semester at Illinois Tech, meet with a Career Development Coach or Peer Career Coach to start developing your career plan
- Read the Illinois Tech Career Services Resume Guide
- Develop your professional résumé with VMock
- Browse our website and take advantage of the resources that are available to you
- Open a Handshake account for résumé posting and job listings
- Follow Career Services on social media keep up with workshops, career fairs, specialized employer events, and job announcements
- Add Career Services events to your calendar
- Watch Candid Career videos to learn about the career paths available to you
Develop Your Skills
- Attend our workshops, learn to write a résumé, get interviewing tips, and discover what career path might fit you the best
- Research your industry
- Get experience early, so that you can make a great impression on a future employer by applying for internships and co-ops
- Go to on-campus and virtual career fairs; check which companies are coming to interview Illinois Tech students—and to get tips about finding a great job from students who are getting ready to graduate or alumni who are back to recruit
- Start early by creating goals for yourself and learning what skills you have
- Network with industry leaders and alumni by attending different campus events
- Learn how to write an effective cover letter and résumé
- Figure out how to stand out in a crowded, competitive marketplace
- Discover how to interview well
- Practice how to negotiate
- Cleaning up your social media profiles