Bringing Canvas to Illinois Tech
We are excited to announce that Illinois Tech will be transitioning to Canvas as our learning management system (LMS). Canvas will provide our faculty and students with a more modern, user-friendly, and powerful platform for teaching and learning.
Canvas is a learning management system that offers a wide range of features, including:
- An intuitive, modern interface
- Quickly upload and move content to share materials and build courses
- Robust grading and reporting tools that help instructors track student progress and provide feedback
- A mobile-friendly interface that allows students to access their courses and learning materials from anywhere, at any time
- Easy-to-use collaboration tools that allow students to work together on projects and assignments
- Meets Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and is certified WCAG 2.1 AA, meaning educators can use its features and tools to build courses that are accessible to students of varying abilities
Canvas is already used by over 4,500 institutions around the world, and we are confident that it will be a valuable asset to our community.
Benefits of Canvas for faculty
- Canvas makes it easy to create and deliver engaging learning content.
- Canvas provides a variety of tools for assessment and feedback.
- Integration with Banner, allowing instructors to easily send in final grades
- Canvas offers a variety of integrations with other educational technologies.
Benefits of Canvas for students
- Canvas is easy to use and navigate.
- Canvas provides a variety of tools for learning and collaboration.
- Canvas is accessible from anywhere, on any device.
- Canvas meets the diverse accessibility needs of our users and is committed to W3C's Web Accessibility Initiative and Section 508 guidelines
We are planning to implement Canvas in two phases:
- Phase 1: In early spring 2024 semester, Canvas will be available to faculty to view and begin preparing their materials for fall. Workshops and training sessions will be offered during the spring and summer semesters.
- Phase 2: Starting fall 2024 semester, Canvas will be the university's official LMS.
Support and training
We are committed to providing our faculty and students with the support and training they need to be successful with Canvas. We will offer a variety of resources, including:
- Online and in-person workshops
- Documentation and tutorials
- Support staff who are available to answer questions and provide assistance
We look forward to working with you to make the transition to Canvas a success.